Friday, November 9, 2012

Merry Christmas Card explained - -


Someone left a comment on this card on the blog asking me to explain how this card was made with all the details and photos. I will try to do my best to explain -- first I had seen this in my new issue of the British magazine Papercrafts Inspirations. To begin with I went to their website to look for the pattern so I could print out two copies onto white card stock from GP. I always print out two copies -- one to keep for the pattern and the 2nd one for me to cut out. To get the pattern for the people on the card you need to go to:
http://papercraftinspirations.themakingspot.com/  once you are there click on "downloads". Once there it will say Oct 17 Free Templates and at the lower right bottom it says 'read more' --- click on that and it will give you the downloads of this issue. Click on pg 1 and you will find the pattern for the people:

After I cut out the 2nd pattern for the pieces I wanted I then enlarged this pattern to the size I wanted -- this can also be done on the printer before it prints if you like. Here is a pix of the pattern and the pencil marks for the size I made:
Cut it out on the pencil line. For the head I used a round punch that is 1 1/8". To make the scarf curve across the head I punched on the edge of the stripe paper with a 1 3/4" circle punch. I then used the 1 1/8" circle punch and punched over the curve I just made. For the scarf to hang down the back I used the SU Pennant Punch and it is too long so I put the head on the scarf and trimmed off the top:

 I used small circle punch for the black eyes and added white dots with a white gel pen-put them on with a glue pen.  For the boy I used green card stock and I used the SU oval punch that is 1 1/4" x 2" and trimmed off the bottom of the oval so it was even with his robe:
For the cream piece I cut the robe pattern piece apart on the lines and made it a bit longer than the pattern piece and using scissors I cut the bottom edge curved:
Before putting the pieces together I sponged the edges of the green pieces with green ink as well as using the green ink to sponge the edges of the cream piece. I then put this altogether and using a glue pen I made a curved line on the head scarf and added twine to that. For the girl (blue) I did the same steps except for the oval behind her I used an oval punch from Marvy -- this is more of a round oval. Once her pieces were all cut out I used blue ink to sponge them.  For the cradle I used the small SU tag punch and punched that out and then put it in a wood grain embossing folder in the Cuttlebug to emboss. Using scissors I trimmed that to size and then used brown ink to sponge the edges. The infant head is made with a 1/2" circle punch from blush card stock. For the lamb I used a small scalloped circle punch from EK Success and the BoHo Blossoms punch from SU for the small piece above his face. Sponged the edges with black ink.  Again used the 1/2" circle punch for the black circle for the lamb face and a white gel pen for the eyes. The legs are just small black strips I cut out and put on the lamb with glue dots.
To assemble the card -- I cut a piece of 8 1`/2" x 11" brown card stock from SU. I then used a piece of music paper from the stash. Used the Lacey Circles from Spellbinders and cut out a light brown circle using the Cuttlebug:
Used a circle die from the Standard Large Circles set from Spellbinders from the burlap printed card stock and then stamped "Merry Christmas" in SU Close to Cocoa ink on that. This stamp is by Stamps by Impression. Put the stamped circle on the lacey circle and set aside. Used the SU star punch and used scrap gold glimmer paper and punched out the star. For the card I folded the brown card base. Put the music piece on the left front. Then put the Lacey Circle pieces on the left front of the card. Positioned the (green) boy on the card front with adhesive. Used pop dots behind his head for dimension. Then positioned the (blue) girl and put her on the card front with adhesive and again used pop dots behind her head for dimension. Then put the cradle and infant in front of them and used pop dots again for that. For the lamb I have pop dots behind his body but his face and piece above his face I used glue dots. There is a glue dot behind the star as well. This card is easy to put together if you print out the pattern to the size you want and then cut out all your pieces. Assemble the people, infant/cradle, lamb and then it goes together quickly. I hope this helps for anyone that should want to make this card. TFL

3 comments:

CJ said...

Thanks so much for explaining how you made the Nativity Card. You were so sweet to do this. I will definitely give this one a try.

CJ

b nice said...

your card is adorable, well done!

thanks so much for taking the time to post the instructions :)

Update: Is there any chance you have saved the download please - just checked the papercraft webpage and received an error 404 when I tried to download it :/

Candee said...

Hi- I have looked for the download and apparently the magazine did delete theirs -- I did make a copy tho and I do have it but I will have to look for it this week. If you want to send me your email I can let you know when I locate it and then can mail you a copy --- Thanks for the blog visit -- Candee P