Saturday, April 27, 2013

Boo Banner Card



Archiver's sent out the email this week for their new item that they offer with a note at the bottom that they had extended their sale on their clearance items. The new product they were offering is the exclusively to them Hero Arts stamps with a die. These are usually 4 stamps with a matching shaped die in the same package for $9.99. We had to go to Raleigh for errands anyways so I put the stop at that store on the list.

When I got there I picked up my Hero Arts stamp/die and went over to the clearance racks. Being a card maker usually the larger border dies by Sizzix, Spellbinders, and QuicKuts would not work for a card. But this time in the clearance section were the holiday word dies from QuicKutz. There was a die for Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and the above, Halloween. Being so large these would work on a 12 x 12 scrapbook page but certainly not on a card . . .   but the Halloween I thought I could use on a card but this would take some planning.

In the above photo you see the back of my die and my seam roller for wallpaper. I use the seam roller over items on cards that I use a glue pen for to be sure the glue spreads on the back of my piece and will have a strong bond on my card stock. This is the card I made:


This card base is on card stock from Stampin Up and the dotted paper is from the stash. Here is the whole card opened:



It is early for Halloween of course but I had this idea and I wanted to make up a card so I could see if this idea would work and I can always add to this between now and Boo Day for the cards I will make and mail out.  Here are some of the details:

First I cut out the word die using the Cuttlebug, extended cutting plates, and a piece of 12 x 12 card stock trimmed larger than the die but that would fit in the machine. Once the word was cut out I cut my purple card stock to the size I wanted for my card. Using a glue pen I put glue on the back of the letters --- except for the "H" I did not do the top and bottom of the "H" so it could hang over my first scored line. Once that had the glue on it I placed it on the purple card stock. Once that was on I ran over the letters using the seam roller to be sure my glue adhesive would stick the letters to the card stock base.


Now I had to score the card --- I scored the first line to the right side of the "H" and then again I scored the card at the first bend in the "W". With the card stock base, and then the glue, and then the word I did not want to score through too much bulk so I had to decide where the score lines would go -- when I first had this idea I made a "mock up" card just to see if it would work and where to put the scored lines to keep my card even.

I then used SU black ink and sponged the edges of the card piece. Using a stamp set from Close To My Heart "Say It In Style" I used the "happy" stamp and stamped that to the left top of my "H".

Once the card was scored where I wanted I then went over the scored lines with a bone folder. Now for the fun --- for the spider web on the "H" I added a glitter pen for the web lines. I also used that pen for the eyes for the bat and spider. I used the ghost squeeze punch from Fiskars for the ghosts and those are punched out of glitter card stock from Hobby Lobby. But the punch only punches the ghost going in one direction -- to change that I punched one ghost from the glitter paper with the glitter side facing up and then turned the glitter paper over and punched another ghost so now they go in 2 directions for the card.

Using a Jolee jewelry oval punch I punched 3 ovals from scrap card stock and sponged the edges of those. Used glue dots and put the ovals together to make my pumpkin -- used a small leaf punch for the leaf on the pumpkin:




 For the two words "EEEK !" and "BOO" I used Martha Stewart punches:


The "EEEK !" letters are all separate but the "BOO" is connected at the bottom and to the ghost. I used scissors and cut away the 'boo' and used a glue pen to put these on the card.

This is a simple card to make -- just plan ahead and I would make a mock up card to start. I will be adding to this I am sure once I make them for Boo Day --- esp the front of the closed card --- but for now I have an idea to work off of. The QuicKutz dies always cut out very well and no "hairs" on your card stock or having to use a tool to poke out small parts.  TFL and YOLO

No comments: