Friday, May 17, 2013

Happy Memorial Day Cards



Here are a couple of the Memorial Day cards I am working on. Had to decide a theme so I went with the stars and the stripes. Card bases are of card stock from Stampin Up, red is Mikes, and white is GP. Here is each card and description of:


To begin with I cut and scored my card stock base. Then I cut a piece of white GP to the size I would want for the card front -- 5 1/4" x 4". I cut a second white GP piece the same size as the first one as it will be the base piece I 'build' my stripes on. For the stripes I cut 1/2" wide strips* from red, white, and blue. Using the ATG I put adhesive on the white card stock base and then put my strips on that making up my stripes piece. Once the white card stock base piece was covered I trimmed the edges to be even.  I used the QuicKutz Stars embossing folder** to emboss this piece in the Cuttlebug. Once it was embossed I trimmed it to the size I needed for the card front.

Using the ATG I put the embossed striped piece on the white GP and then put this on the card front. For the stars circle piece on the card front I used the Star Circles die set from Spellbinders. As with any die that is detailed and cuts out shapes so small I used a piece of wax paper when I cut the Star circles out. First I have the die, the wax paper, and then put the card stock on top of that and ran it through the Cuttlebug. Works every time and the cut piece comes right off the die. Does not leave a waxy residue on your card stock.

Once the Star Circles were cut out I used a 2" circle punch for the red circle. For the "Happy Memorial Day" greeting I printed that onto white GP card stock on the computer. Used a 1 1/2" circle punch to punch that out. Put the Star Circles and greeting piece together. Put it on the card front with pop dots for dimension. For the tiny stars I used the stars the die cuts and I put those on the greeting circle with a glue pen. Added tiny clear crystals and the card front is complete. Here is a closer photo of the embossing and front greeting piece:


Here is the second card I made and for this card I used three stripes only and those are cut to 1 1/4" wide and put on the white GP card stock base again using the ATG:


And the close up photo of the embossing and greeting piece:


* First the embossing folder --- this Stars embossing folder from QuicKutz and I embossed a sample piece as when this folder embosses it looks good from either side so I had to decide which side I was going to use. I put a circle on the top of the folder with a Sharpie so while I am embossing all my pieces for all my cards I am making they will all have the same look of embossing -- the Sharpie marker can be removed from the outside of the embossing folder using rubbing alcohol on a Qtip later.

** This is another tip if you should make up stripes --- Red, White, and Blue is a pattern so be sure when you are putting your stripe strips onto your white card stock base that you start with Red and keep them in order. Once you emboss the piece be sure to put the embossed piece onto the white piece for the card front with your Red stripe at the top of the card. Having the stripes makes this embossed piece like a one way design patterned card stock. So FYI for that when you are assembling the card.

Remember the wax paper if you are using detailed dies or CheeryLynn, Marianne, or other dies that are very detailed and make it hard to remove your card stock from.  TFL and YOLO and here are the cards again:


No comments: