Sunday, May 5, 2013

Thinking of You Hexagons Card


Yesterday DH and I went "flea-ing" as he wanted to go to a few flea markets we had not been to yet. It ended up being an all day venture and our last stop was near Fort Bragg -- that is in Fayetteville and it is a crafters dream. Nearby, on the same road, is Hobby Lobby, Joanns, Mikes, and AC Moore . . .  can't get much better than that. I went into AC Moore and picked up a new ArtBin magnetic sheet box with my 50% coupon I had. Then off to Joanns -- with a city the size of Raleigh you would think we would have a few of the Joann Fabric stores but we don't --- we have one in Raleigh and one in Cary. So having one near all the other craft stores in Fayetteville is great.

DH sat in the truck and I went into Joanns --- coupon in hand --- to buy a new Fiskars punch. I picked up the small Hexagon squeeze punch and this is the card I used that on. When I saw this punch I knew I could use it with the Cuttlebug Hexagon embossing folder I have But I did not want to have the card be too busy on the front with all the shapes and sizes. I was going to use my Darice Folder Frames which you can use with an embossing folder to keep part of your card stock smooth. Instead I decided to use the back cardboard piece to a paper pack and a green file folder. I cut them to the shape and size I wanted -- here is a photo:


The photo shows the cardboard and the file folder -- I spread them apart for the photo for you to see what I used for layers. Here is what they looked like in the folder:


Before I did this for the card I made I tried it out on scrap card stock to see how it would look. I did not want the embossing to be too prominent so I put an extra layer of the folder on there.

To make the card I cut and scored the card base from SU which is True Thyme. Then cut a piece of green card stock for the card front. For the cream card stock, that is from Close To My Heart, I cut my piece a bit larger than what I would need. I  used a stamp from the stamp set Stenciled Silhouettes from Gina K Designs and I used True Thyme ink for that. Stamped it on the upper right corner and then I embossed that piece.

Where my folder/cardboard shims are is where the embossing will be on the cream piece. I had seen partial embossing before and I was afraid the sandwich that was suggested for the Cuttlebug was too thick. This is what I did for mine and I suggest trial and error is the best way to go --- I used the A plate, the C plate, and then the embossing folder with the shims and the cream card stock in that. The embossing folder is on the top of the plates and I used no other plate on top of that. Again I wanted a softer embossed piece so I added more to the shims but do a practice piece first and see what you like.

This photo shows the embossing close up:



I used double sided card stock for my Hexagon punch pieces and that card stock is from Heidi Grace. The twine is from my stash as is the button.

If you do not have the hexagon punch you can always use a hexagon embossing folder on printed or plain card stock and use a shim on top of the embossing folder when you emboss this. Then using scissors cut out your hexagon pieces. I am happy that Joanns had the hexagon punch in the size I wanted -- I got the last one but I wish the other stores sold the new squeeze punches from Fiskars. Joanns seems to get those and also the newest Spellbinders --- but the ArtBin with the magnetic sheets is $6.00 more there than at Mikes, ACs, and Hobby Lobby. Go figure.   TFL and YOLO


No comments: