Saturday, August 3, 2013

Autumn Leaf


AC Moore, Mikes, and Joann Fabric stores do not let you use coupons for magazines or instruction books. Since magazines can be quite pricey now -- $10.99 ? ? ? -- I rarely buy them. I subscribe to one card making magazine and that is all. However, once in awhile I will see an issue I like and I will buy a magazine here and there.

Went to Hobby Lobby and picked up the new issue of Paper Creations for Fall 2013. In this issue is a card by Michelle Woerner "Falling Leaves" and although I do not have the products she used I did have products I can use to make the card. (Was able to use my 40% off coupon for the magazine so the cost is much better than the regular price on the magazine).

To begin with I used Stampin Up Cajun Craze for the card base and the multi colour leaf paper is from Provo Craft. The cream is Very Vanilla from SU. This is how I made this card:

Cut and scored the card stock base. Cut my cream piece to the size I needed for the card front. Using a leaf die from the Spellbinders Fall Foilage die set I cut out a maple leaf from the lower front of the cream piece.  I then put the cut out cream piece and a second piece of card stock **  in the Sizzix/Tim Holtz Bricks wood grain embossing folder from the Bricks and Wood Grain folder set. Ran these through the Cuttlebug. Once they were embossed I used ink from Tim Holtz (Antique Linen)  and sponged the edges of the cream piece with the leaf cut out and across the front of this piece. I cut the leaf print paper from Provo Craft a bit smaller than the cream cut out card stock. I put the leaf paper behind the cream piece using the ATG. Once that was done I put these onto the card base.



Using a stamp from Whipper Snapper "Autumn Greetings" I used a marker and coloured  the 'autumn' word only. Stamped this onto scrap cream card stock and cut that out with a die from the Spellbinders die set Charmed, I'm Sure. Sponged the edges of the tag. Used twine and a button to put by the greeting tag Autumn. Simple card to make.



I have two other embossing folders with the wood grain pattern -- by Sizzix and Darice -- but those wood grain patterns looked more like stripes and for this card I wanted a wood grain but not an overpowering pattern.

** As for embossing folders -- when I emboss a piece of card stock I always emboss two at a time -- this will make for a softer embossed piece and I have found for the folders that emboss deeply your card stock will not tear or rip from the embossing if you emboss two pieces at a time. For the second piece of card stock I do not use for my current project I put in the file drawer with that folder. This way if I should need to make a card quickly I already have embossed card stocks ready for use.  TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I like this card Candee! I know magazines are so high, glad that you were able to use your coupon for it!!!