Monday, October 28, 2013

A Trace of Thanksgiving Card


Had to call this card A Trace of Thanksgiving because I used a serrated tracing wheel for the front of the card. Those of us that know how to sew or quilt have probably used a tracing wheel somewhere along the line and I used one on this card front with acrylic paint.

To start cut and scored a card base of Choc Chip and set that aside. Cut a piece of cream card stock for the card front as well as a piece of striped card stock. Put those two pieces together using an ATG and then put them on the card front with the ATG.

For the Pumpkin Pie piece on the card front I cut that to the size I wanted to use. Did not want to use a plain piece of card stock or an embossed piece but wanted to have some design on it so I decided to try the tracing wheel technique. Using cream acrylic paint from the craft store I squeezed a small amount of paint onto a piece of copy paper. Using a foam brush I spread the paint out so it was thinner. Using a ruler I lined it up on the edge of the Pumpkin Pie card stock piece and held it straight. Ran my serrated tracing wheel through the paint on the copy paper and then rolled the tracing wheel onto the Pumpkin Pie card stock keeping the edge of the tracing wheel up against the ruler. **  Turned the Pumpkin Pie card stock and did this on all four edges. Set this aside to dry.


For the pumpkin I used dotted card stock sold in packs from Mikes and using the large oval punch from SU I made three ovals. Sponged the edges of those with the Pumpkin Pie ink. For the leaf/vine piece on the pumpkin I used the small Sizzix die Flourish #9 and cut that out of green card stock in the Cuttlebug. Sponged that with Old Olive ink. Using a Marvy small leaf punch I punched out one leaf and sponged the edges of that. Put the dotted ovals together using glue dots and put the leaf/vine piece on the pumpkin using a glue pen. Single leaf is on with a glue dot.  The stem is made using the Word Window punch from scrap kraft card stock and I sponged the edges with Close to Cocoa ink. Set the pumpkin piece aside.




Using the All Year Cheer III stamp set from SU I used the "Happy Thanksgiving" stamp and stamped it on the card front using Close to Cocoa ink. Put the pumpkin on this piece using pop dots. Added orange crystals in the lower corners. Put this piece on the card front using the ATG.

** First -- if you try this tracing wheel technique be sure to go in one direction with the wheel. Do not go back over your line -- like a wheel stamp do not roll back over your image. It works better if you do your short edges first and then each long side. With each pass I used a clean paper towel to wipe off any left over paint on the ruler. This way you will not get paint smears on your piece. Once all four sides were done I rinsed off the ruler and the tracing wheel in running water to remove any paint residue.

Allow a few minutes for your paint to dry.

You may want to practice on scrap paper first -- when you are running the wheel on the edge of your ruler you want to hold the wheel so it is against the ruler but you do not want to press down on the wheel and make holes in your card stock.

This technique gives you a look of stitching without a sewing machine. It is easy to do but practice first on scraps. Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, and other craft stores with sewing and quilting products sell the tracing wheels. There is a wheel with a plain wheel and that would just give you a straight line. The serrated wheel will give you the look of stitching and the wheels are less that $3.00 each -- use a coupon and they are even cheaper. TFL and YOLO


3 comments:

Brenda said...

I love this card Candee! Love the "stitching" on it!! Those trace wheels are just perfect to get the perfect stitching!!! lol Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh Candee, Never thought of my almost antique Dritz tracing wheel from 6th grade--still have the tracing paper too. Pulled out the belt eyes I used in 1950 for card making. Beads, laces, yarns, fabrics all my old supplies I have thought to use but the tracing wheel--you have set my old brain working again. Luv it.
Thanks, Reva

Candee said...

Hi Brenda and Reva -- thanks for the nice comments. I laughed Reva when you mentioned Dritz---do the new sewers even know what a dart is?? Ha, ha. I also have used old sewing trims and such for cards -- weren't the tracing wheel and papers a "must have" for sewing ?? Thank you both for your visits. Candee P