Monday, February 17, 2014

Hello, my little chickadee . . .


Had seen these matchbook treat holders for Easter by Michelle Last so I made one for myself. Had gone to the big W to pick up Easter candies but they were just setting up that section so no Easter M&Ms were out and so I used left over M&Ms from Valentine's Day that I did not use for treats. But I wanted to make one of the holders up to see how easily they went together so when the Easter candies are available I will be all set ---

To begin with I used 3" x 4 1/2" clear treat bag from the candy making section at the craft store. Filled it some of the M&M candies and I trimmed off the top of the bag and used a staple to close it. Set that aside. I knew since my bag was 3" wide that I would have to adjust the measurements for the pattern for the matchbook treat holder. Mine measures: 3 1/4" x 8". With the long side at the top of the score board I scored this at 1", 4 1/2", 4 3/4", and again at 5".  At the end with the 1" scored line I used a decorative border punch and punched that out.

At the other end of the scored piece I stamped a grass stamp from Rubber Soul near the scored line and I used SU Gumball Green ink for that. Once it was stamped I then used the bone folder on all scored lines to make the scored lines sharp. On the part of the holder that I had stamped the grass on I used an oval punch for the 'window' on the matchbook treat holder front. Centered that and punched out the oval.

The chickadee is made using the SU Bird Punch and I sponged the edges and for the wings I used a small heart punch, also sponging the edges of that. The bird and the wing are on using pop dots for dimension. I used a marker for the eye and beak and his legs/feet.

At the punched edge of the holder I used a pencil and made two pencil marks to punch small holes for the ribbon to go through. Tied yellow gross grain ribbon in a knot and the holder is done. To put the bag of M&Ms in the holder I used the ATG and added a bit of adhesive to the center of the inside of the holder and put the plastic bag in place.



This holder goes together quickly and it is also free standing so would be good for table markers at the holiday table. Will keep checking for the Easter M&Ms and maybe check for small jelly beans as well. If you do not have the Bird punch you can also make a small bunny to put on the lower right front corner as he would be cute, too. Here is a bunny I have made in the past and he is as large or as small as you would like just by using different sizes of the circle punches:




As you can see I made a large bunny, (a butterfly punch is his feet), a medium sized bunny for the Two Tags holder, and in the bottom photo I made a smaller bunny for binder clips.

If you did not want to use a bird or bunny a butterfly would also look nice. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

Brenda said...

These are adorable Candee!