Monday, May 5, 2014

The wheel revisited . . .


Used an older 6 x 6 pad of printed card stock from SU for this card. Wanted to use the Pinwheel Technique but wanted to use a scalloped square punch for the pieces of the pinwheel rather than the plain square punch. I had learned this from a Youtube video long ago by  dawn5377.  Dawn shows how to make your pinwheel and card and it is a quick video to watch. She also has the sizes of card stock pieces she uses for her pattern.

For my card I used a dark blue card stock base, then a white/GP piece, then the dotted card stock. Using the ATG I put the dotted card stock onto the white/GP piece. Used sheer white ribbon from the stash and tied that around those pieces. Once the ribbon was on I put this onto the card stock base. Set it aside.

I needed a greeting for the card front but did not want to stamp anything or make a tag. Instead I used the Handwriiten die set from Little B Dies --- these are great dies and when you buy them they come with their magnetic sheet for storage -- very economical dies and packaging. Here is how these dies are sold:


To store these I have all my Little B dies in an Art Bin that is made for magnetic dies and I store it upright on my shelf. The Art Bin keeps the dies dust free but easy to find in the craft room maze . . .



I cut out the "hello" die using a piece of wax paper on top of the die and ran it through the Cuttlebug. The die easily came off of the white card stock I had cut it out of and these dies are very nice. Once I had the "hello" cut out I used a glue pen on the back of the word to put it on the lower right corner of the card front:


Assembled my pinwheel pieces and set that aside. Here is a trick I just learned to add bling to your card without the bulk of a button or the back of a brad -- using pop dots only:

I used an awl to remove a large pop dot from the sheet:


Peeled off the paper front:


Keeping the pop dot on the awl turn it over and put it into glitter:


Press it down into the glitter to cover the front of the pop dot. Take the pop dot out of the glitter and tap it off to be sure all loose glitter falls off:


 Now put this glittered pop dot into the center of your pinwheel -- here is a photo of this on the pinwheel to show the sparkle of this:


Easy way to add a bit of bling to your project without the bulk -- I used a fine silver glitter from Martha Stewart for my pop dot.

Once that was done I put pop dots behind my pinwheel piece to put this on the card front. The pop dots add dimension to the front of the card:


Here is the card front again:


The Pinwheel Technique goes together quickly and with each card it takes on a different look depending on what prints and colours of card stock you use. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

True Joy Studio said...

Love the glitter on pop do. Awesome idea!