Saturday, September 6, 2014

Wavy Halloween Card


As a card maker many times I would like to use shaped stencils for edges or borders or such but a lot of the stencils available are for 12 x 12 scrapbook pages -- which means the shapes/sizes are too big for a standard card. I have used many stencils using the distress inks but never found small shaped stencils for my card fronts . . . until I stumbled across   www.kiwilane.com  and their stencils made especially for us card makers - - -

They sell six SETS of stencils that they call their "border sets". The nice thing about their stencils is they are a nice weight so it is easy to trace your shape with a pencil. They also have a variety of sizes in the sets. Another nice thing is the presentation/storage. Each set comes with a binder ring to store your stencils on and this binder ring opens so you can take off the one stencil you want to use and then put it back when you are done. Now you can hang your stencil set on a hook for your next project -- I use a removable hook from 3M:


I have seen cards with the 'wave' across the front of the card but using a bendable ruler does not always give you a true shape. Once I saw this stencil set from Kiwi Lane I had to order it --- their shipping is reasonable and quick service also.

For this card I used a card stock base of Pumpkin Pie, then black card stock from Mikes, and the prints for my card front are from the Happy Haunting paper pack from Hobby Lobby. Using the stencil I traced the wave shape onto the front of my card stock. Used scissors to cut that out -- then did this again on the black/pumpkin print for the card front bottom. For the dotted wave piece I traced the wave shape and then moved the stencil up about 1/2 inch and traced it again. Cut it out with scissors. Using regular scotch tape I taped my printed top piece to the bottom black/pumpkin piece on the back. Then used the ATG for the dotted wave across the part of the card that my two prints meet. Trimmed this card front piece to the size I wanted and then sponged black ink on all my edges. Put this front piece on the black card stock using the ATG. Then put these on the Pumpkin Pie card stock base:


Using a mini dollar bin punch I punched out two black bugs and put them on the top printed part of my card. Used an oval punch from Hobby Lobby and punched out three ovals for my pumpkin.Then used three background stamps and stamped them onto my three ovals. Used Pumpkin Pie ink to sponge the edges of my pumpkin pieces. Stacked these like a pumpkin and used the Word Window punch for the stem. An EK Success border punch was used for the pumpkin vine and a leaf punch was used for the leaf. Put the vine piece on the stacked pumpkin using a glue pen.

The "boo" greeting at the base of the pumpkin is a stamp from Luni Stamps -- I bought it years ago at a stamp show I had seen them at. Have tried to order from them online and that never has worked but they do have nice stamps and I wish I had bought more from them when I saw them at the show. I used the Word Window punch to cut that out and tucked it under the front oval of my pumpkin:


LOVE this stencil set and I was surprised how fast this card came together -- esp with using patterned papers from the same pack of papers so that they will go together. Check out Kiwi Lane as they have lots to see --- TFL and YOLO

No comments: