Saturday, November 15, 2014

Fifty Cents Santa Tag


To begin with this is a Santa "To and From" tag stamp from Hero Arts from 1996 that I bought used for 50 cents. Decided to make some holiday tags so I thought I would share this one.

I knew the shape I wanted the Santa tag to be on but did not want to just make a tag --- wanted an envelope to put it in --- so I used the Sizzix/SU Scallop Envelope Die and cut out red card stock from Mikes to make my envelope -- in the following photos I used scrap card stock to show this:


The above photo is the die cut piece. Then I turned it on it's side to begin folding it:


Again this is scrap card stock just to show how to make the envelope -- with your four scored lines score the big straight side, the scalloped side, and one of the small ends using the bone folder to crease the scored lines --- unlike my photo -- leave the other small end not folded and scored.


Fold in the scalloped edge and use red sticky tape on the big straight edge side and fold that over to be on top of the scalloped side:


Once the sides are folded in then put red sticky tape on the small straight end and fold that up and over the folded pieces and this makes your envelope:


Here is the 1996 Hero Arts Santa Tag stamp:


Since I was not using a tag die for my tag piece I had to decide what size I would need the Santa piece to be. Cut out and made my red envelope using the red card stock from Mikes first. Then measured both the width and length of my red envelope. So using white/GP card stock I cut out a piece 2" width by 3 1/2" long. Using scissors I cut off the two top corners of the tag to give the white/GP the tag shape I wanted. Stamped Santa on that using the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig and black StazOn ink. Used a red pencil and a light pink pencil for his hat and face. Used a glue pen on the brim of the hat, the pom pom, and then his beard and mustache. Sprinkled fine white glitter on him and tapped it off. Set him aside to dry. Once that was done I knew I wanted something above his hat but did not want anything bulky like a ribbon or anything. So I pulled out the Washi box and found the red printed tape -- problem was the tape is wider than what I wanted. So I cut a piece longer than what I needed for the width of my tag and then used scissors to cut the Washi tape in half lengthwise to make it narrow. Put that across the tag and trimmed off the edges.

Always when I make tags, either cutting it out free hand or using a die, I always make a ring for the hole on the tag top. Not only does that help to make the hole at the tag top stronger but I think it looks more finished. For this tag I used scrap red card stock from Mikes and cut out a 1/4" hole using a circle punch. Then using a 5/8" circle punch I cut out another circle over that first circle hole I made. This gives me the ring. I used a glue pen to put the ring on the tag top and then punched out the tag hole using the same 1/4" circle punch. Added ribbons from the stash to tie at the tag top.

Here are better photos of Santa and his envelope:



Another use for the Sizzix/SU Scalloped Envelope die and a good use for a 50 cents Hero Arts Santa stamp. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Very cute Candee, I really love your tag and I love how you got your envelope to make a coin envelope. Clever! Hugs, Brenda