Sunday, November 30, 2014

Flake Family Christmas Card


Wanted to make a snowman Christmas card but did not want to use the same old, same old snowman stamps. Decided to dig through the stash and so here is my card ---

Found the snowman border stamp in the SU Best Borders stamp set from 1996. Then found the single big snowman stamp in the SU Holiday Hello stamp set from 2000. Both stamp sets I bought used but I am sure you could check Ebay if you wanted to buy them.

To begin with the smaller snowmen on the snowman border stamp is wider than your usual card stock base of 4 1/4" x 5 1/2". When I cut my SU Bashful Blue card stock base for this card I cut it so it is 4 1/4" x 5 3/4". Set this aside. Stamped my snowman border stamp onto white/GP using StazOn black ink and cut that to the length and width I wanted it to be. Used markers for the snowmen hats, scarfs, and buttons. Used a fine glue pen for the snow and pom poms on the hats and added fine glitter to that. Tapped it off and set it aside to dry.

For the big snowman I stamped him onto a scrap piece of white/GP using the StazOn black ink. Cut him out, (using the oval dies from Spellbinders), Used markers to colour him and added glitter with the fine glue pen. Then put the blue oval behind him using the ATG.  For the "Merry Christmas" stamp I used a stamp from My Sentiments Exactly and stamped that onto white/GP scraps using the StazOn black ink. Cut that out using the Spellbinders tag die set Charmed, I'm Sure. Then lightly sponged the edges of this tag using SU Bashful Blue ink.

Took the border of little snowmen and put that onto a piece of the Bashful Blue card stock. For the card front I used white/GP card stock and embossed that in the Cuttlebug** using the Festive Embossing Folder by Sheena Douglass. Trimmed it to size for the card front and put that onto the blue card stock base using the ATG.

Then used the ATG and put the little snowman border piece across the front of the card. Once that was on I put the larger snowman oval onto the blue oval using the ATG. Put pop dots behind the blue oval to put this on the card for dimension. Used a M Stewart snowflake border punch and punched out white glittered card stock from Hobby Lobby for the little snowflakes. Put the snowflakes on the card front using mini glue dots. This photo shows the snowflakes from the glittered card stock and also the glitter added with the glue pen:


Simple card to put together but do remember --- cut your card stock to the wider width due to the border stamp. ALSO ** remember since your card front is larger than you usually would have when you cut out your white card stock that you are embossing for the card front it has to be larger than your normal size. And, as always, when I emboss card stock I use two pieces of card stock so that my embossed image is a softer embossed image and the 2nd piece of card stock will prevent the embossed card stock from ripping or tearing.

Nice to use old stamps that have not been used recently ... what is old is new again ... or something like that. ..... . .....  TFL and YOLO

No comments: