Sunday, November 30, 2014

Trees Christmas Card


As usual all my Christmas cards will be different cards in that I am only making one of each rather than cranking out all the same card. I wanted to used the distressed inks on a card and I had seen the card by Heather T on her blog:

http://cards.heathertelford.com/2010/08/18/olw-16-stamp-a-scene/

But I wanted my card to have distressed inks in the same colour group rather than use different colours. Where to begin? I had taken a class and learned all about using distressed inks and the "do's and don't's" of it all. (Thanks Daphne for that). So here is my card and I will explain what I did below that:


To begin with in the class I took we used the 110# weight white card stock by Mikes and that takes the distressed inks well -- the card stock does not get wavy or peel layers away from the inks as you are moving your ink applicator across it since distressed inks stay wet longer for you to be able to work with them. I cut and scored a piece of the 110# weight white card stock for the card stock base. Using my craft mat I opened the white card stock base flat. Using a ruler I measured where on the card front I wanted my band of colours to be and I laid down the blue Post-It notes that I used to mask this area off.

Using three of the distressed inks I began adding colour to the masked space on the card base front. I began with my lightest ink Tumbled Glass, then used Peacock Feathers, and adding a touch of the Broken China at the top of my coloured strip. Here is a photo showing the coloured area and the dark blue Post-It notes:


As you can see this looks rather blotchy but with distressed inks that will sometimes be the look but remember you will be stamping onto this piece so it will not be the focal point of your project. Here is a photo of the Post-It notes peeled away before I stamped the trees:


For the trees I used a stamp from the Stampin Up Lovely As A Tree stamp set and stamped the stamp in the center of the distressed area. I used black StazOn ink for that. The stamp is not wide enough to cover the whole front of the card so I stamped it in the center and then stamped on the edge of my stamped area on both sides so you can see trees from one edge of the card to the other.

Wanted a clean and simple greeting so I used a stamp from PaperSweeties for my greeting and stamped that on the lower right corner of the card:


Again used the StazOn black ink for that. Did not want a large, scrolly greeting as I did not want to complicate the card front. This card literally went together in minutes and thanks to Heather T for sharing her card. Here is the card again -- TFL and YOLO:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious if you have to use Staz on ink? Or can any black ink achieve this look?

Cathy

Candee said...

Hi Cathy -- thanks for the blog visit. I would not see why you could not use any black ink -- I just used StazOn as their black is so dark and true. Used to use Stampin Up but they changed their black ink formula and it does not dry so I switched over to StazOn. Thanks -- Candee P