Saturday, January 17, 2015

SU retirement sale ---

A nearby SU demonstrator had a sale this morning of retired products that she no longer uses for her classroom so I decided to go as I was looking for a couple of things for me and a specific stamp set for a friend --- picked up the cling stamp set at a great price for my friend, got a retired colour ink pad I did not have and that was still sealed, and then picked up a SU wheel stamp that was brand new and is the retired Love wheel --- perfect for Valentine's Day.

As with all my SU wheels I will take this stamp off the wheel and put the foam backing on it so I can use it with clear blocks for stamping. Not only do these stamps off the wheels make nice border stamps but also dress up the bags/boxes I make. I know I use these stamps more with them off the wheels than I did when I kept them on the wheels so off it will come  - - -

While I was waiting for a total for my new-to-me loot I was standing by her work table talking to her and she had a row of these smaller wood/peg bow makers on her table. I had asked her where she had gotten them, thinking they were for her stamp club/classes she holds, as I had just seen a similar one in size on a blog for $15.00 each. She said they were not for her stamp club/classes but for sale also and they are $5.00 each. I picked one up and the size is good for bows for card making and boxes/bags and such and I like the weight of the base --- so for $5.00 ? ?   Here it is:


This is a photo of the wooden/peg bow maker with ribbon I will make two bows from. You can see the pegs on the bow maker have five slots for the pegs so you can make many different sizes of bows using this. First I made a small red bow with double tails and then moved the pegs and made a larger red bow with double tails:


To get the double tails I used a second piece of ribbon to tie around the bows to finish them off:


and the two sized red bows:


But here is a photo of a simple black bow that I used one piece of ribbon for to make the bow and tie it off:


This bow maker is great -- unlike a fork you do not have to try to balance it while you are winding your ribbon around it and then trying to tie it in a knot and slide the bow off --- I also like this because it 1 1/2" high and easy to use on your table top or work table. Whoever made this also sanded it smooth and beveled the top so there are no splinters to deal with -- another plus... and the pegs are tall enough if you are using a wider ribbon or perhaps wanting to have multiple loops on your bows . . .

Now I have to figure out how I can put bows on ALL my cards and projects using this new little gem. . . TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

MaryH said...

These bow makers are nice. I got one some years back at a stamp store - think the price was about the same as you said. I don't make that many bows on cards, but it is handy when you need it, and good for different sizes of small bows. Easy to store as well. Good for you on the great sale. I said you are Q of Organizing, but I think I'll add Q of good scrounging too! (or clever buys...sounds better, yeah? Whatever, you get great bargains!!!) TFS