Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Butterfly Spring Card


Had seen a card by "amyk3868" on Splitcoast and liked the colours she used and her layout. But did not have the card stock she used for her card front, or the butterfly die, or the button . . .  but still did like the colours.

Here is my card using the colours Amy used:


My card is SU Cool Caribbean for the card base, then a piece of SU Bermuda Bay for the card front, and for the white I used GP. Using three different distressed inks over the Mini Vineyard stencil by TWC/Jenni Bowlin (@ Mikes with a coupon) I stenciled the white/GP piece. Started with the darkest ink, then the medium dark ink, to the lightest ink at the top of the piece. Here are the inks I used for this:


The inks are: (dark to light) Peacock Feathers, Broken Glass, and then Tumbled Glass. Looking at this photo the Tumbled Glass lid looks like that colour would be more of a denim blue but it is not. I had made this colour sample chart of the distress inks at a card class I had taken which shows the true colours of these inks so it is easy to see which colours will work well together:


Once I finished the white/GP piece I removed the stencil and removed the inks from the stencil using a non-alcohol, fragrance free baby wipe. (You can also rinse the inks off the plastic stencils under cold running water as well). Trimmed my white/GP to the size I wanted for the card front. Using vellum (as Amy did for her card front greeting) I used a dollar stamp from Mikes and stamped that onto the vellum using SU Bermuda Bay ink. Cut that to the size I wanted and put that across the stenciled white/GP piece. Put the vellum onto the card front and then put the white/GP onto the Bermuda Bay piece and put these onto the card stock base.

Did not have the butterfly die she used for her card so I used a detailed butterfly punch from M Stewart and punched out a butterfly from the Bermuda Bay card stock. Then for the smaller butterfly I put on top of the darker butterfly I used scrap white/GP and the stencil for that is Texture Mesh from Memory Box. I used the lighter distressed ink and inked the stencil. Then I used a smaller butterfly punch from M Stewart and punched out a butterfly. Put this butterfly on top of the larger butterfly with a mini glue dot. Added two clear crystals to that and put this butterfly on the card front using glue dots. Pinched the butterfly wings together to raise them:


Adding a small butterfly to the greeting piece with a clear crystal and this card is done. Thanks to Amy for sharing her card and colour combos. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

lifesabeach32940 said...

Candee ~

Tim Holtz (Ranger Inks) has an updated chart for his 50 distressed inks. (I just printed out a copy after seeing your post.) What did you use to "stamp" the colors in each square? I want to make one. :)

Your card is GORGEOUS by the way. :)



Judy