Saturday, March 21, 2015

Easter Chicks

Had seen these made up on Splitcoast Stampers by "1crzystamper" and they are too cute not to make up for my Easter treats this year -- they will be cute on a tag, on a Tootsie Pop holder, a card, a place marker, etc.. Something other than the normal bunnies and eggs for Easter projects --- and here are three of the ones I made:


On her description on the how-to's for these chicks she said she used SU circle and heart punches. That was a start but the first chick was a trial and error for me so I will tell you how I made these little cuties:

1 1/2" circle punch (egg)
1" circle punch (chick head and body)
1/4" square punch (beak)
Small circle punch (for eyes)
Heart punch (wings)
Yellow ink
Sponge
Various embossing folders
Decorative edge scissors
Sizzix Borders die set

To begin with punch out two 1" yellow circles and two hearts. Using a sponge and yellow ink sponge the edges of the circles and the hearts. Put these together using glue dots to make your chick body and wings. Once those are together I used the 1/4" square punch and made the beak. Put the beak on the chick face using a mini glue dot. Then using a small circle punch I punched out two black circles and I put those above the beak using a glue pen. It is easier to position the eyes after you have the beak in place. Set the chicks aside.

Using the 1 1/2" circle punch I punched out my circles. These are the eggs for the chicks. For two of the eggs I used the Sizzix border dies to cut the circles apart in the Cuttlebug -- here is a photo of that die set:


Also used this die set for the ric rac and wavy pieces across the egg fronts. Once I had two of the circles cut apart I used the decorative edged scissors for the third circle. Once all the "eggs" were cut apart I used three different embossing folders and embossed the eggs.

Cut out the ric rac and the wavy pieces and using a glue pen I put these on the bottom part of the "eggs". Trimmed those to the edges of the "eggs". Now I put the "egg" bottom and the top on the chicks using small glue dots.

For the ribbon bows I used various ribbons and tied my bows. Put them on the "egg" tops using a mini glue dot.

These are very easy to make and put together once you know what size punches you need -- here are two photos of the punches I used -- the first show the punches for the chick and egg and the second photo is of the M Stewart hearts border punch I used for the heart wings:



In the top photo two of the punches have the size marked on the punches. The punch on the far right does not have a size printed on it. I used a Sharpie marker and marked the punch size on the top so I know at a glance it is a 1" circle punch. The Sharpie pen mark can be removed with rubbing alcohol if I want to remove that at a later date. Here are photos of each chick:




Made all the chicks and eggs using scraps -- another good use of scraps. Thanks to "1crzystamper" for sharing her too cute chicks. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

Colleen said...

the chicks are so cute.
thank you for the instructions