Monday, June 15, 2015

Lipstick Petals Card


Always happy to find a card that is easy to do using the Stampin Up Painted Petals stamp set. I bought my stamp set in the clear stamps and in the clear set all the small stamps are loose. Have watched videos on YouTube to see the tricks in using this stamp set. Altho it is a nice stamp set it is time consuming to put all the tiny pieces together on clear blocks for placement so I can stamp with it. So on the shelf it stays, safe and sound. . .

Recently bought the British card making magazine Cardmaking and Papercraft, the May issue. In this issue Carolynne Knott uses this stamp set for six projects -- cards and a tag. This card I made I followed her instructions using my MISTI.

To start I cut and scored a piece of card stock from Close To My Heart for my card stock base. Then cut a piece of SU Old Olive for the card front. For the stamped piece I used a piece of watercolour paper by Canson that I bought at Mikes with a coupon. Got out my MISTI and the two inks Carolynne used for her card sample -- Distressed inks: Worn Lipstick for the flowers and for the stems/leaves Peeled Paint. She suggests stamping your flowers off the edge of the stamped card stock so since I was using my MISTI I put a piece of scrap copy paper in the MISTI. I also used some of the bumpers I had made for my MISTI. The bumpers allow me space to stamp off the side and the bottom edges of my watercolour paper.

Once I had the bumpers in place and the watercolour paper I put my stem/leaves stamp on my MISTI cover and inked that with the Peeled Paint distress ink. As she suggested I use water to spritz my stamp. Then I stamped my stem onto the watercolour paper:


I wiped off the stamp, re inked it, spritzed it and stamped again until all the stem/leaves were stamped on my piece:


As you can see the green ink got onto the bumper pieces but I simply wiped the ink off of those using baby wipes for easy clean up. Once these were stamped then I stamped the flowers. Carolynne said to stamp the flowers twice and this is very simple to do using the MISTI as your stamp does not move or fall off the MISTI as some stamps fall off the clear blocks we use with them.  But what I did was to ink my flower stamps, spritz them with water, and then stamp. Once stamped I wipe off the stamp with a baby wipe and then re ink the stamp with the distress ink and the second time I did not spritz the stamp with water but just stamped it on top of the first flower layer. Here is a photo to show the flowers better:


Very easy technique that gives you the watercolour effect without the work. But remember this is still watercolour paper so set it aside to dry. Once it was dried I put my stamped image onto the green card stock and then put a piece of ribbon across the bottom front of the card. Then put this onto the card stock base using an ATG.  Will add a greeting/sentiment to this card when I am ready to mail it out. It will be good for a birthday, anniversary, thinking of you, just because or any other time you need to mail a card off to a friend.

Don't know if I love this technique more than my MISTI but I do know this was a simple technique to do and made even easier with the MISTI. Thanks to Carolynne for sharing such pretty projects using a stamp set that is not so easy to use. TFL and YOLO

No comments: