Monday, June 22, 2015

Online shopping - - -


So I get an email from MFTStamps.com --- AKA My Favorite Things --- last week. They were having a sale so I decided to see what was included in the sale and one of my "want have's" die sets was included... only it wasn't... it was on back order. I usually buy my MFT dies from them but sometimes a crafter has to take matters into their own hands... or in this case? my own keyboard...

Since I do not have a scrapbooking/card making store here I can shop at I have to resort to online shopping. While I was looking for my MFT die set Stitched Rectangle Stax I decided I would also see if I could locate the French Pastry Doily die by Cheery Lynn Designs. My first stop was at:

www.123stitch.com    

I have ordered from them in the past and their shipping is very reasonable and fast. Here is a copy of the invoice from this order:


I placed my order with them early Friday, 6/19/2015. They are in Utah and I am in N Carolina. Much to my surprise I received an email from them on Friday afternoon telling me my order was shipped and they sent me my tracking info. Lo and behold? My order arrived today and all for $3.49 for shipping and handling --- well worth the money. And certainly that is a lot cheaper for me than gas would cost to drive to a scrapbooking store in a nearby city.

Now -- here are my three dies I ordered:


Love having my MFT Stitched frame dies but I finally decided to give the Cheery Lynn French Pastry Doily die a try --- I had bought a doily die long ago from another manufacturer and that was a nightmare trying to cut the die out. Used waxed paper, dryer sheets, and parchment paper and the doily either would not cut all the way or I could not get it and all the pieces out of the die... So back to the dollar store buying their thin paper doilies for my cards and projects that I wanted doilies for. .

Until I had seen a card made using the Cheery Lynn French Pastry Doily die but was not sure if this die would indeed cut as well as reviews had stated. I have other Cheery Lynn dies and although they all cut well, the French Pastry Doily die is very detailed with many small pieces to be cut. The plus for this die is that it looks just like the paper doilies I liked from the dollar store which I liked.

While I was ordering the doily die a pop up showed me that there was a smaller version of this die which will be good for tags and 3 x 3 cards and smaller projects than a card front. So this smaller version die was the third die for my order.

First thing I did was to cut out both the larger and smaller die using Stampin Up card stock in the Cuttlebug to see if indeed they cut well. I used the Stampin Up card stock in the Cuttlebug using this sandwich:  Plate A, plate C, dies cut side up, card stock, plate B and one layer of scrap card stock as a shim on top of the plates. Ran this all through the Cuttlebug and before removing it from the machine I then ran the machine backwards so that these dies were cut twice before removing them from the machine. Here are the two die cuts as they came right out of the Cuttlebug:


As you can see very few pieces are left in the die cut pieces and I did not even use waxed paper when I cut them out. The die cuts fell right out of the dies when I took them out of the Cuttlebug. Here is a photo of the dollar tree paper doily die VS the green doily I just cut out with this die:


As you can see the die cut piece is the same in shape and cuts as the paper doily die from the dollar store and of course the Stampin Up green card stock is a lot heavier then the paper doily. Very happy with the Cheery Lynn pastry dies for sure.

It will be nice that if I want to use a coloured doily on a project that I do not have to dismiss that idea as my paper doilies are all white. Also I will not have to sponge the edges of the paper doilies just to add colour to them.

Thanks to 123stitch.com for great shipping/handling time frame and cost -- not to mention the variety of products their online store offers. And a BIG thank you to Cheery Lynn for dies that cut as well and the details on all their dies. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Oh I am so loving these dies Candee! Those doilies are fabulous, I will be checking them out at this site. Thanks for the heads up! Hugs, Brenda