Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sweetbriar Rose Card


I ordered the new single stamp Sweetbriar Rose from the new Stampin Up catalog. Also I had ordered two of the new punches. As it has in the past . . .  when I opened my box with my new goodies the plastic case for the Sweetbriar Rose stamp was broken with a large piece off the bottom of the case. This stamp is only available in wood however with my just getting  my MISTI I decided not to mount the stamp onto the wood so the larger case will not be used. I have an extra DVD size stamp case from Stampin Up I will keep this unmounted stamp in. . .  Perhaps SU should bubble wrap their punches when shipping them? That may be the solution to no more broken cases.

So I get the stamp and decided I wanted to make a card using this stamp that I can use the blender pens on to add colour. For my watercolour card stock I used my pad of watercolour card stock by Canson that I bought at Mike's using a coupon. Decided what colours I wanted to use for the card and got all my supplies together to make the card and pulled out my MISTI and was good to stamp until I saw the words on the stamp -- "Sweetbriar Rose". Decided I would stamp the stamp as it is and this is what that looks like:


I do not like the words on the stamp as I think they are too close to the stem and also no matter what kind of card I made with this stamp each card would have "Sweetbriar Rose" on the image. So before I stamped the piece I needed for my card I used the SU rubber stamp scissors and cut off the words. I put it in the case that this stamp will be kept in in case at a later date I decide to use it with the stamp.

For the card stock base I used SU Tempting Turquoise and I cut and scored that. For the card front I cut a piece of SU Certainly Celery card stock to the size I needed. For my watercolour card stock that I would stamp on I cut that to the size I needed for the card front before I stamped it. Here is the card:


Have not used the blender pens in awhile so decided I would use them again for this card. Stamped my image using my MISTI and StazOn black ink. Using the blender pens first I did the centers of the flowers using SU Daffodil Delight ink, then SU Old Olive for the leaves, and then SU Cool Caribbean and SU Tempting Turquoise for the flowers. Once that was done it just seemed too stark and I wanted a softer image. I set the stamped piece aside to dry. Then I put it on a craft room cookie rack and spritzed it lightly with water, being sure to cover all the card stock, even where it was not stamped.

The colours began to blend and mix and that is the look I wanted -- so the colouring is softer looking and with the colours blending it gives the card front the look that a background technique was used as well. Once I spritzed the card front I set it aside to dry and once that was done I stamped my image "Wishing You Well" which is from the Close To My Heart stamp set Say It In Style - D1283 in SU Tempting Turquoise.



This is another reason I cut off the "Sweetbriar". With me stamping the stamp on the card front using the StazOn black ink that "Sweetbriar" would have also been stamped using the black ink. Then when I used the turquoise ink to stamp my greeting that would not look good and my greeting have to be moved to another part of my card front so I am glad I cut that off the stamp. TFL and YOLO

No comments: