Thursday, June 18, 2015

Washi Polka Card


As card makers we all have a "style" and things we do for our card designs and things we would never think of or even try. I am guessing the title of this post really should be "WAIT - don't push me" but this is a second card I would not have tried on my own. . .

This first card was inspired by Roberta on Splitcoast and the title of her card is Christmas Snow People. I never would have thought of using black for a card stock base for a Christmas card but with Roberta's design? It works -- here is my version of her inspiring card:


Everything just works on that card. From the black card stock base to the sponged edges on the stamped piece. Then using the dotted embossing folder to include texture or 'snow' on the card front. It is a card I never would have put together on my own until I was inspired by Roberta's card. Thanks to Roberta for sharing her card.

This next card, which I entitled Washi Polka Card, is inspired by Lin on her blog: www.heartshugsandflowerrs.blogspot.com. On Lin's card she used only white for her card which shows off the bright colours of the Washi tapes she used and her flowers. I did not have the stamp set she used so I had to make do. When I received my Stampin Up Polka-Dot Pieces stamp set I thought it would work well with Lin's inspiration and here it is:


To begin with my card stock base is yellow and the white is GP. The different washi tapes are from my stash and different manufacturers. For the greeting "Thinking of you" I used a stamp set from Close To My Heart "Say It In Style" D-1283.

To begin with I cut and scored my yellow card stock base. Cut my white/GP to the size I wanted for my card front. Once that was cut I used a ruler and a pencil and made one light pencil line across the width of the white card stock piece so my washi tape would be straight. Then made a second pencil line on the length of the card stock piece for my tape. Using four washi tapes I put tape across the bottom of the card tearing it rather than using scissors.. Then used two other washi tapes to put on the length of the card, again tearing the ends off.

Once the washi tape was on the white/GP card front I stamped the large and smaller flower stamps from the Polka-Dot Pieces stamp set onto scrap white/GP using differnet inks. Set those aside. Using the Cuttlebug I cut out green card stock using the SU/Sizzix Sizzlits die Leafy Branch -- I cut out two of those. I put those on the card front using mini glue dots.  Using SU punches I punched out the large stamped flower and a couple of the smaller flower stamps for my card front. I did not have the stamp set that Lin used on her card so I had to search for a small dotted stamp in my stash. I found the perfect stamp in the Rubber Stamp Taspestry stamp set Winter Night and I stamped that in different colours on my card front as Lin had done on her card.

For my greeting I used my MISTI and stamped the greeting on the card front using orange ink. Once that stamping was done I used the ATG and put the white card front onto the yellow card stock base. Then used glue dots to add my flowers to the card front. I felt I should add something else to the card front so I used sequins and glue dots for those. The sequins are green and also the Crystal Cup sequin by Darice @ Joann Fabrics. This sequin looks clear but it shows colours on the card front and just enough sparkle:


This is a card I would never had made up if I had not been inspired by Lin's card. First I would have had the washi tape on the left side of my card rather than the right and I would have used scissors to cut off the washi tape rather than tear it so I would have clean edges. So this is another 'push' out of my card making zone but worth it --- Thanks to Lin for her inspiration. TFL and YOLO

No comments: