Monday, June 15, 2015

Watering Can Card


Last week I went to a local recycle store and they had older Stampin Up catalogs from the 90's when Stampin Up was run by Shelli and her sister LaVonne. It is nice to see the older catalogs not only to see the stamp sets that have long been discontinued but to also see the creative ideas and projects that are on the pages. Some things have changed while others have stayed the same with the market coming out with new products and accessories for us crafters.

One of the cards in one of the older catalog had decorative moss on the card front so I decided to try that myself. Wanted to do a card using the Sizzix/Tim Holtz watering can die. Decided I would cut the watering can from SU Smokey Gray card stock using a blue stripe for the center of the can. Here is a photo of this die packaging:


Wanted the speckles on my die cut piece as the packaging shows so I used the SU Color Spritzer tool and a navy marker for that. Once that was done I sponged the edges of my watering can and blue stripe with Smokey Gray ink and then put these two pieces together using the ATG. Then on the bottom of the watering can -- on the backside -- I used a piece of red sticky tape and put some of the decorative moss on the watering can. Once I got the amount I wanted on the can I then put a piece of Scotch tape over the moss on the back to hold it onto the red sticky tape and the watering can. Using scissors I trimmed the moss where needed. Set this aside.

Decided to also use the Smokey Gray card stock for the card stock base -- cut and scored that piece and set it aside. Used a piece of white/GP for the card front. Embossed that in the Cuttlebug using the Lifestyle Crafts Wildflower embossing folder. Used a doily from the dollar store for the card front. For the gray dotted card stock that is a piece of Core'dinations card stock and I used a circle punch to punch out a circle. Sponged the edges of this circle using the gray ink.

Using the ATG I put the embossed white piece on the card stock base. Then put the dotted circle on the doily and put that on the white card front, trimming the left side off of the doily. For the greeting I used a stamp from Paper Sweeties and gray ink and stamped it onto a scrap piece of white/GP card stock. Cut that out using the Bitty Banners die set from Stampin Up. Using the Smokey Gray ink I lightly sponged the edges of the greeting tag.

For the flowers in my watering can I used two flower punches from SU and scrap card stocks. Using a small Sizzix branch with leaves die I cut out a die piece. Put this piece onto the front of the watering can using glue dots. Then used the M Stewart sprig punch and put those onto the watering can. Put the flowers on the watering can using glue dots. Once they were all put on I used pop dots behind the watering can to put it on the card front. Once that was in place I used glue dots to put the banner greeting on the lower right side of the card front.

Good ideas in the pages of the older books and nice to see stamp sets that are no longer available but also what the trends were back then. TFL and YOLO

No comments: