Thursday, July 16, 2015

Looming Halloween Card


Picked up this die from Inky Antics --- Card Loom die --- at the SSAT stamp show over the weekend. This die measures 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 and it is used to cut your card stock so you can make a woven background card. Long, long ago I had made a woven background card but did not have this die and it was hard to measure and cut all the strips perfectly but did finish that card. Liked the look but certainly not the work . . .

Inky Antics had a couple of samples of the woven background cards and they used quilling strips to weave in their cards. For my card? I used printed card stock cut into 1/4" wide strips by 4" long. Here is my card:


To begin with my card is on a card stock base of 110# weight white card stock from Mikes. The gray is SU and the black on the card front is 65# weight card stock from Mikes.

Cut and scored the white card stock base. Set that aside. Then I cut the gray piece for the card front. Lastly I cut the black card stock to the piece I wanted for the card front. Using the Card Loom die I put it on the backside of the black piece and used painters tape to hold that in place so it was centered. Ran this through the Cuttlebug. Using black and white polka dot card stock from Hobby Lobby I cut 1/4" wide strips by 4" long. Using a skewer - (bought at Walmart in the kitchen utensil aisle for 97 cents for the pack) - used the skewer to make the weaving easier as they suggest on the Inky Antic website. One row I started with "over, under, etc" and then the next row was started with
"under, over, etc" until my weaving was complete. Tips -- weave from the backside of your piece to make it easier. Once I had all the strips woven in this is what the back looked like:


Cut a thin piece of Scotch tape at the top and again at the bottom of the strips:


Flipped it over and here is the front of this piece:


Using the ghost die from QuicKutz I cut out two ghosts from textured white card stock. Sponged the edges of those. Punched out a small oval to cover the ghost eyes/mouth and put that oval on the backside of the ghost using a glue pen.


Set those aside. Using the ATG I put the woven piece onto the gray piece and then put these onto the white card stock base.

Using a larger oval punch I punched out three ovals from SU Pumpkin Pie scraps. Stamped these ovals with stamps from the SU stamp set Gorgeous Grunge. Sponged the edges and put these ovals together using glue dots. Used a Fiskers swirl punch and their pumpkin punch for the swirl piece and the leaf. Cut the brown stem for the pumpkin using scissors. Put a small orange bow on the pumpkin and then put the pumpkin onto the card front using glue dots.


"Have a Spooky Halloween" is from a Hero Arts Halloween clear stamp set. Stamped it onto white card stock and punched the banner end using the Banner Triple punch from SU. Put my ghosts on the card front using pop dots.

The Card Loom die certainly made quick work of this woven card and am happy I bought it at the show on Saturday --- between that show and so many online specials this is a good time for us card makers to get some deals!  TFL and YOLO

No comments: