Saturday, July 11, 2015

You can't get there from here . . .


This doily was cut out using the Stampin Up/Sizzix Large Paper Doily die. When I first bought this die, like many others, I wanted to return it to Stampin Up because I could not get it to cut out all the details or if it did cut it was a surface cut only. Many suggestions were "out there" from covering the die with packing tape to dryer sheets to wax paper and beyond. But this is a nice doily design so trial and error until I figured out a "recipe" that worked in my Big Shot machine.

Once I figured out what worked to cut out this die I used the label maker and printed out all I needed to do, in which order, to get this die to cut every time. In the above photo my red doily is cut out of a piece of red Stampin Up card stock so this "recipe" works even with the heavier card stocks. However I still have to use the awl to get all the small pieces out of the cut doily but once that is done this is a nice doily -- but to use this die for multiple cards is not a good idea -- too much work. Here is the labeled die:


Much easier to use my new Cheery Lynn large doily die to cut out multiple doily pieces -- here is my red doily cut with the Sizzix/SU die next to the green doily that I used the Cheery Lynn large doily die for:


It is good to have the sandwich "recipe" on the SU die as if I did not have that on there I would not be successful cutting out a die piece. With having the "recipe" on the backside of the SU die each time I use this die I will have a good cut for a clean die cut piece.... but of course after it is die cut you have to use an awl for the smaller pieces... all in all???  The Cheery Lynn die is much easier to use but a totally different doily design.  TFL and YOLO

No comments: