Friday, October 23, 2015

Matchbooks Made Easy

This post is for the Matchbook treat holders I just made for gals at work for Halloween. This is an easy and simple pattern, it uses up scraps, and you get four treat holders from one sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock. Here are my Matchbook treat holders for Halloween that I quickly put together:


To begin with you need a sheet of card stock 8 1/2" x 11". With the 8 1/2" side of the card stock at the top of the score board you need to score this at: 3/4", 4 1/2", and again at 5". See photo:


Once scored take this to the trimmer, with the 11" edge at the top of your trimmer, cut this piece every 2 3/4" until you have four pieces:


While I was cutting my pieces I also cut the printed front panels (2 1/2" x 3 1/4") for the "Boo to You" holders and also the small piece for the bottom flap (2 1/2" x 1/2") on the holder:


Once all the printed pieces were cut I used the ATG to put them on my Matchbook holder. I made each holder by using a bone folder for the scored lines. Then I put the bottom print on the small flap and then the larger print piece on the front of the holder. Remember if you use a directional printed card stock as I did for these holders to be sure your piece will be right side up on the front of your holder. Once all the printed card stocks were on my holders then I put a Fun Sized Skittles candy bag inside and stapled at in the bottom center of the holder --- remember you need to be able to slip your front cover piece under this small flap to keep your holder closed so put your staple closer to the bottom of your small flap.

With all these holders assembled and filled now I used a stamp from Northwoods Rubber Stamps for the Boo To You and stamped that on scrap white card stock using ColorBox black ink. Cut it out using the SU Bitty Banners die set and set that aside. Using a die I cut out my ghost using glittered white card stock in the Cuttlebug and used an oval punch to punch out a scrap piece of black card stock to go behind the ghost mouth and eyes. Put that black piece on the back of the ghost using a glue pen. Put the ghost and greeting on the holder front using glue dots:


For the "Trick or Treat" holder I used a stamp set from Lil' Inker Desgins and stamped that onto white card stock. Used a square punch to cut that out, sponged the edges with black ink, and put this on a scalloped square orange piece to match the holder. The print on the "Trick or Treat" holders is from the stash and I did not have a full sheet so I do not know who makes that. The black bat on those holders is from Hobby Lobby on holiday clearance for a package of 6. Used glue dots to put him on the holders.

For the small front flaps on those holders I used various washi tapes from the stash for contrast and colour. Here is a better photo of all the holders;


Both the ghost and bats are sparkly so they add sparkle to the holder fronts:


The purple holder holds the Skittles candies so for the orange holders I put a bag of the Fun Sized M&Ms in there. Quick and easy holders to put together and they go together quickly if you should have to be making up a bunch of these. Good use of scraps and washi tapes --- TFL and YOLO


3 comments:

Jeannie said...

These are super adorable and thanks for the details on how to make them!
My current blog challenge is - I Ain't Afraid of No Ghost! Join me!

Jeannie T.
Dragonfly Journeys

Charlene said...

Wow - thanks for the great instructions! These are so great!

Candee said...

Thanks ladies for your nice comments. I like the Matchbook holders because not only do you get four from a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock but they use up small scraps and are easy to put together as well. Thanks for your visits and Happy Halloween! :0) Candee P