Sunday, November 15, 2015

Patchwork Pumpkin Cards


Card stock base is SU Pear Pizzazz with SU Crumb Cake for the front embossed piece. Various prints were used for the patchwork pieces for the pumpkin. For the pumpkin shape I used the largest pumpkin die in the Spellbinder Nestabilities Pumpkin die set.

To make this card I decided I would make two of them -- here is the second card:


Cut and scored the green card stock base. Set those aside. For the Crumb Cake embossed piece I cut two pieces of Crumb Cake 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".  Laid them on top of each other and embossed them in the Cuttlebug machine using the Cuttlebug Oxford embossing folder. By using two pieces of card stock in the folder this gives the embossed piece a softer look. Once my pieces were embossed I trimmed them to the size I needed for the card front and sponged the edges of both embossed pieces using brown ink -- in the photo below you will see for one embossed piece I had the embossed design raised and the other card I turned the embossed piece over so the design was recessed -- you need to decide which side you want to show for your embossed design and then sponge the edges:


Once the embossed pieces were trimmed and sponged I set those aside. To make my patchwork pumpkin I cut a piece of white/GP larger than the pumpkin die I was using. Using scrap printed card stocks I cut strips 1 1/4" x 4" and sponged the edges of all of those using brown ink. Then I covered the white/GP card stock with adhesive using the ATG. Placed all my printed pieces onto the white/GP and pressed them down into the adhesive:


As you can see in the above photo some of the printed card stocks are off the edge of the white/GP piece. Once the strips were on the white base I flipped it over and trimmed off the excess strips using scissors. Then I place the pumpkin die onto the patchwork strips and used painter's tape to keep the die in place:


Took this to the Cuttlebug and cut out the pumpkin:


Sponged the edges of the patchwork pumpkin using brown ink. Used scrap brown card stock and cut the stem with the die out:


Used scissors to trim this off and put it on the patchwork pumpkin using the ATG. Using linen thread I tied a bow on a button and set that aside. For the greeting I used a stamp from Morningstarstamps.com (love her designs) and used rust ink for that and stamped it onto scrap cream card stock. Used the Spellbinders Back to Basics Tag die set and cut that out with the Cuttlebug. Sponged the edges of this using the brown ink.

Using the ATG I put the embossed Crumb Cake piece on the green card base.  Then used the ATG to put my patchwork pumpkin on the embossed piece. Using glue dots I added the greeting piece and then put the button on top of that:


Patchwork cards are always fun to make as they all look different. This is an easy card to make once you lay out your prints and decide which prints to use for your patchwork piece. Simple card for Thanksgiving. TFL and YOLO



2 comments:

lifesabeach32940 said...

Love this, Candee!! Thank you for the step-by-step directions!! They are always appreciated!!

MaryH said...

What a stunningly clever way to use up some snippets! And it's just so lovely the way you've done this. Love this Oxford EF, works great with the patchwork punkin too. Thanks so much for thinking of us. This one is definitely more impressive IRL and what pretty snippets made up this darling pumpkin. Hugs & Happy Tksgiving. M&J