Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Triangle Patchwork Tree Card


Here is another of the Christmas cards I have been working on. This year I am not making any duplicate cards so this is another card that was inspired by another crafter --- Sandy at www.StampwithSandy.com. Thanks to Sandy for sharing her tree idea.

To begin with card stock base is green, red from Mikes for the card front. Cut and scored the green base and then cut the red piece to the size I needed. For the front of the card I used cream card stock and I began with a piece that was 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".

To make the triangles I used my triangle punch:


I punched out three green triangles and six printed card stock triangles. For the base of the tree I used a scrap piece of brown card stock. To assemble this patchwork pieced tree I started at the bottom -- but to be sure my tree was straight I used a ruler and made a light pencil line across the cream card front piece:


The above photo shows the bottom middle printed triangle and the green triangle next to it. You might be able to see the pencil line in the photo as well. I used the ATG to put adhesive on my triangles as I assembled the "tree". Since the tree piece will be embossed, after it is assembled, I was
careful to be sure my triangle edges were butted up against each other so there would be no space between them.

Once the tree was assembled I was ready to emboss this -- I did not want the embossing folder to emboss this piece too deeply and pull my triangles apart so I embossed this cream piece of card stock with the tree on it and another plain piece of cream card stock in the folder together. By embossing two pieces of card stock at the same time you will have a softer embossed piece and the extra embossed piece I put with that embossing folder for later use if I should need to make a card up quickly.

With the embossing done now I took this piece to the trimmer and trimmed it to the size I needed for the card front.

Put the embossed tree piece on to the red card front piece using the ATG and then put these onto the green card stock base. For the greeting "Merry Christmas" I used a stamp from Paper Sweeties for that and cut that out using a banner die set. Did not have small enough 'bling' crystals so I used a very small circle punch and punched out two circles from red foil card stock and used a glue pen to put these on the greeting piece.

Used a Marvy star punch and punched a star from gold foil card stock for the tree top. Good use of scraps on this card and the triangles are good if you have a card stock you are not fond of or if the pattern is too large for other projects. TFL and YOLO


1 comment:

MaryH said...

Enjoying scrolling through the diversity of such pretty cards you've made. This triangle tree one is unique and so colorful. What a grand idea to use that punch as you've done! TFS