Tuesday, January 12, 2016

One man's trash.... is another man's treasure. . . or something like that. . .


MFTstamps.com (My Favorite Things) has a series of metal dies they sell and the dies are called Blueprints. This is a die set that gives you dies for a card front, or a tag base, with all the extras you need --- scalloped pieces, border dies, shapes, words, etc. All the accessory dies for your card base.

These MFT Blueprint dies are packaged with the dies on a piece of magnetic sheets larger than the die set itself. All these dies are attached from the smallest die to the largest die. I use wire cutters to clip the small pieces of metal that hold the many pieces together. But once these pieces are cut apart, and many of them are very small, how to keep them together and not coming off the magnetic sheet?

Since MFT is a favorite brand of mine I have a lot of their dies. To keep them together I keep them all in an ArtBin for magnetic dies. Each die fits nicely on the magnetic sheets that fit into the ArtBins. But with the Blueprint series there are too many small die pieces to keep track of. But what to do and how to keep them altogether and in the ArtBin?

"One man's trash"... a friend of mine does not use the plastic envelopes to store her Sizzix and her Stampin Up die sets. I asked her to save them for me and this is how I use them:


In the above photo I am showing an older tag set -- the Tag Builder Blueprints 2 set. I have it stored on the magnetic sheet it was packaged on and you can see I have clipped apart all the smaller dies. Once I have all the die pieces on the magnetic sheet then I put this into the discarded plastic envelopes:


I put the dies in the envelope face up so I can see all the dies and pieces in each set. Using my label maker I made a label for each die set title and put that on the envelope front:


The photo above is my newest tag Blueprints die set (I have not cut the pieces apart yet) and you can see these all fit into the plastic envelopes nicely. To store these I put these envelopes in the Art Bin in the front of all the other MFT dies in there. This way the envelope will keep all the small die pieces together with the die set they go to and it is easy to look through these labeled envelopes and pull out the die set I want to use.

Free solution to the problem of losing small die pieces and not knowing what pieces go to what Blueprints die set. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

MaryH said...

Very clever idea! I will have to borrow this one, as I have some of those little folders too. Another idea is to use small clear bags (like the kind H/Lobby has for the jewelry findings that have a plastic zipper type closure, and trim the magnet sheet to bag size! I don't have any of these Blueprint dies, as I couldn't think how to use them. Happy wkend, TFS & just loaded your pretty NY card on the Friends' Card page! Hugs