Saturday, July 16, 2016

B O O (out of the box)


Traditional colours for Halloween cards are orange, purple, green, black . . . . This BOO card is totally "out of the box" as far as colour goes...  I had gone to a stamp show last weekend and stopped at the booth that features stamps from Just for Fun. 

Sample boards hung all over their booth and a Halloween card stood out -- One - for the simplicity of it, two - for the stamped images, and three - for the colours. Using the idea of their card I added a few things to my card and here it is:



Black card stock base is the #110 weight card stock from Mikes, blue is a piece of scrap card stock, white is GP. Cut and scored the black card stock base. Cut the blue piece to the size I needed for the card front, then cut the white/GP piece to the size I wanted. 

Using painters tape I taped off the edges of my white piece so I would have a rectangle space to add ink to. I used an applicator and added Salty Ocean distress inks to the white piece. Sides and bottom are darker than the top of the piece. Once inked I carefully removed the painters tape.

Using an embossing buddy I ran that over the inked piece. Used VersaMark and inked the broom stamp. Stamped that on my blue piece. Covered it with black embossing powder and heat set that. Once that was done I then inked the cat stamp with VersaMark, stamped that with the cat standing on the broom handle, added black embossing powder and heat set that. Set this piece aside to cool:


Used the bone folder to make the scored line on the black card stock base sharp. Added the solid blue card stock to the front of the black card base using the ATG. Stamped "Happy Halloween" on the bottom of the white piece using Memento black ink. Then lightly sponged the edges of this embossed piece with black ink. Used the ATG and put this piece on the card front. 

The card sample on their sample board had black sequins but I do not have any of those. But I wanted something black that would be sparkly. Decided to use a very small circle punch and punch out three circles from black glittered card stock.  Once those were punched out I could see the white backside of the black glittered card stock on the edges of the black circles. Solution? I used a black Sharpie pen to colour the white edges with black ink so they look totally black. Used Tom Bow glue to add these three dots to the card front. Tried to show the glittered dots with this photo:


Very simple card to put together -- usually with a witch's broom you see a witch. I like the cat stamp as his back is arched and fur is fluffed. Never would have thought of these colours for Halloween so am happy I saw their sample boards!  TFL and YOLO

No comments: