Monday, August 22, 2016

Hot Glue!!! WHO knew ????


First you decide on the width and then the length. . .  cut that to size and then decide on the score lines . . .  decide that and score . . .  then the folding begins -- mountain, valley, mountain, valley. . . once that is done you have to attach it to itself to make a circle. With that done now it has to be attached to a circle you punched out as the "base" to keep it flat. Using liquid glue you attach the base to your circle and wait for it to dry or set before you can use it. . . Making a Rosette, (also called Accordion Flower), was not so easy and not so fast . . .  that in itself was time consuming. But adding tulle was another story. Problem is with each layer you are adding height to your Rosette and that was an issue for what I am using my Rosettes for. .

Time to bring out the Tim Holtz Mini Paper Rosettes die -- here that is:


In one pass in the Cuttlebug I cut out two different size Rosettes:


This die not only cuts and scores your card stock in one pass but it gives your pieces a scalloped decorative edge. Which takes the guess work out of having to decide width and length and then having to use a scallop punch for your strip for a scalloped edge. Cut, scored, decorative edge -- all three done in one pass through the machine. Now for the hard part.....

Anyone that has made Rosettes or Accordion Flowers realizes a third hand would be helpful when making these up ... between the glues, the backing circles, the attaching tulle..... A third hand would definitely help. . . until I saw this video on Youtube by Patty Bennett:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stampin+up+cherry+cobbler+tulle+medallion

Hot Glue!! WHO knew ??? I watched her video and decided this was too easy.. how could this work? How long would it hold? Adding tulle had never been easier --- plus you did not have the bulk of extra layers by adding the tulle. . .

Decided to give it a try and here are my two Rosettes I made using the Rosette die and one pass in the Cuttlebug:


First the black polka dot card stock used is from Mikes. These two Rosettes are the sizes that die cuts. Using the glue gun as Patty suggests works as easy as she shows. I have a craft mat from Ken Oliver that you can use for a hot glue gun and the extra hot glue peels right off once it is cooled with no damage to the mat. I have my two Rosettes closed using a small piece of red sticky tape.

In her video Patty uses the scalloped edge tulle from Stampin Up. For my tulle I used plain black tulle sold at Hobby Lobby on a spool. I cut 7 strips 4" long by 2" wide. Once those were cut I put them on a black card stock circle I punched out of scraps, folding and twisting the tulle as Patty suggests. I covered that circle with double sided tape as I do not have the circles covered in adhesive that she used. You could also use a Xyron to cover your card stock circle with adhesive to put the tulle on.

Once I had my tulle on the circle I used the hot glue gun to put this behind my Rosette piece. Using scissors I shaped tulle around my Rosette. Put a stamped greeting on the small Rosette and a Sizzix ghost on the larger Rosette. Still am surprised how fast these Rosettes went together and thanks to Patty Bennett for sharing her tips and tricks and her video for how-to's. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I won't make a rosette any other way but using hot glue and a mat made for heat! The hot glue is just so much faster. Love my Tim Rosette dies too!!! Hugs, Brenda