Wednesday, April 11, 2012

4th of July Binder Clips



Decided a few years back that the yearly buying plastic silverware and then tossing it after we all ate had to be an idea of the past.... so off I went to a thrift/2nd hand store to buy used silverware. I bought enough of it for 10 people -- forks, knives, spoons, serving spoons..... Spent less than $5.00 for all of that. Best part? They do not match !  But it is for cookouts and that is the fun of it --- if the kids loose a spoon? no big deal... but when I set up the buffet tables how to put out the mismatched silverware? I used mason jars and others from the thrift/2nd hand store. I used fabric and cut circles from tracing a dinner dish. Then put the jars in the center of the circle--wrong side of the fabric to the jars--and tied red/white/blue ribbons at the top of the jars to hold the fabric. Then I put the forks in one jar, then the knives in another and then the spoons in another. So many people have commented on me using this silverware---buy it, run it through the dishwasher and you are all set. Less plastic product in the landfills for sure. So one of my friends is also doing this so I made these name place tags from binder clips for her. She always has the big family gathering at their place for July 4th so I thought she would like these. To begin with the red and dark blue binder clips are sold at Staples like that. The other clips are silver so I had to cover them in papers from Hobby Lobby and Recollections/Michaels. Used two oval punches for the names and printed the names on the computer. For the "Uncle Sam" I had seen this on the blog dostamping.typepad.com from Dawn Olchefske. She has the pattern on her blog for Uncle Sam but I had to size him down for the binder clips--once I had all the sizes chosen it went together quickly. I still have more to assemble for her family but wanted to get the picture up on the blog. I will send her extra clips and extra blank labels for extra guests. All ribbons are from the stash. Used a marker for the eyes and mouth.   TFL !

1 comment:

MaryH said...

These are just absolutely adorable. What a wonderful gift for your friend. Love your idea of the recycled dinnerware. Great idea and you're right...less expense and less landfill. TFS