Sunday, February 3, 2013

Butterflies Imagine Card



Card is on a card stock base from Stampin Up, the lighter Cool Caribbean card stock is also theirs and the white is GP.   The beginning of this card was the white butterfly piece. Again I used an embossing folder for the background stamp on this card -- to do this I cut my white card stock larger than the embossing folder I was using. Then using a brayer I inked the brayer with the ink and rolled the brayer over the raised side of the inside of the embossing folder. Then I put the white card stock into the embossing folder and closed the folder. Using the brayer (still inked up) I ran the brayer over the closed embossing folder up and down and sideways to be sure my ink would transfer from the embossing folder design onto the white card stock.

Once that was done I removed the card stock and I rinsed off the embossing folder and the brayer setting them aside to dry. I then made the rest of the card pieces. I used two die sets from Spellbinders for this card--the Butterflies die and the Picot Edge Circles dies. Since both of these dies are very detailed I also used card stock as shims when I put this through the Cuttlebug for cutting. See photo for the dies:



For the Picot Edge white circle I had doubled up my white card stock before I cut it. I measured the width of the die and cut a piece of white card stock twice the length as the width of the circle. I scored this in the middle width wise and then using the ATG I put adhesive on the one side. Closed that and using my wall paper seam roller I rolled over this double card stock to get the adhesive to stick --- you can also use a Xyron to put adhesive on this if you would want to. See photos:




Even with such a detailed die the die cut piece cut out very well --- only a couple of pieces I had to push out once it was cut. See photo:


Using the SU Cool Caribbean ink I lightly sponged the edges of my Picot Edge circle. I did this as my butterfly piece is also on white and I wanted the Picot Edge to show up better on my card. Using the two colours of card stock I cut out my butterflies--one light and one dark. For the lighter one I lightly spritzed it with Shimmer Mist. While this was drying (it does not take long) I stamped "imagine" on the lighter card stock and used the Martha Stewart tag punch for that. Punched out two of the darker card stock tags and stacked these so you can see the darker tags are behind the lighter tag.

Back to the background. Since I already had inked the butterfly folder and the butterflies were on the white card stock I then used the inked butterflies to line them back up in the embossing folder so I could now emboss this piece in the Cuttlebug. The embossed butterflies on my background are not raised as you would usually have with an embossed piece -- they are indented in the card stock. See photo:



I put the butterfly piece onto the lighter card stock piece using adhesive. Then I drew a line across the front of this piece where I would want my gathered lace trim to be -- this pencil line will be under the trim and will not show. But since this trim is gathered I did not want too much bulk on the front of the card with the butterfly piece on there. So I measured my trim and using a pencil I made two marks on the trim. I then used scissors and cut off the gathered lace between the pencil marks and this will be on the front of the card under the butterfly circle piece. See photo:


If you look closely you can see my pencil line on the butterfly piece. This line will help me to keep my trim straight and also this is the line I will put my red sticky tape on to hold the lace trim. After removing the red strip from the tape I put the trim on the tape line and  I wrapped the trim around the edges of this piece and put adhesive on the back of this and added it to the card base.

Once that was done I positioned my circle Picot Edge piece where I would want it on the card front. Before I put that on I used a brad from the stash and put the brad on the "imagine" tag and then put the brad through one of the small loops on my circle piece. Using pop dots I put the circle piece on the card front. For the two butterflies -- I used small red sticky tape under the butterfly body  to layer those. Added pearls from Martha Stewart to the butterfly and put the butterfly piece onto the circle piece using large glue dots. Squeezed the light wings together to give the butterfly dimension. Added a small pop dot behind the "image" tag below the lace trim. This photo you can see the details closer and you may even see the Shimmer Mist on the butterfly:


The butterflies embossing folder is from Hobby Lobby and the butterflies die from Spellbinders I had picked up at AC Moore from their $10.00 Spellbinders rack. The lace trim is by Darice and I picked that up also at AC Moore.  TFL  and YOLO

1 comment:

MaryH said...

Really a pretty & very detailed card. Lots of nice touches on this one. TFS