Saturday, February 2, 2013

Honey, I shrunk the Santa . . .


Had seen the larger Santa and he is made with the Sizzix/SU Top Note die. He is very cute and fun to put together but very big. . .  so I decided I had to figure out a smaller Santa.

The larger Santa is made with the Top Note die and that die makes one size only -- so to make a smaller Santa I used the Labels 8 die set from Spellbinders. My smaller Santa was made using the 4th die in the set which is the third smallest die in the set. I then cut all the parts for the smaller Santa as I did the larger one. For the nose and the pom pom on the hat I used a 1/2" circle die.

For this Santa I made a card from the largest die in the set and this is how I did that --- folded and scored the card stock and put the die on this piece with the top of the die just over the fold so that the top of the card is still one piece. See photo:


Once that was cut out I used a piece of white card stock by GP and using a Christmas background stamp from Stampendous I inked it with gray ink from SU and using the phone book method I stamped the stamp onto the white card stock. Using the 2nd largest size die in the set I cut out the background piece with the Cuttlebug. Sponged the edges with gray ink and put this on the card front with adhesive.

Here is the card base cut:



And a photo of all the parts for the Santa and the inks, sponges, and dauber for his cheeks:



I put the smaller Santa on my shaped card using pop dots. Added a holly sprig using a Martha Stewart punch and added a red crystal from my stash. (A couple of posts down is a more detailed how-to for the assembly of this Santa -- same steps just different sizes).

Here is the card:


Here is the card next to the larger Santa so you can see the shape of the Top Note die Santa VS the Labels 8 Spellbinder dies. The Top Note is wider and more curvy than the Spellbinders but it works:


The smaller Santa can become a tag or make a smaller card base to have a little card to give someone with a gift -- so if you do not have the Top Note die you can still make the Santa using the Spellbinders set and you can either get those on sale or you can use a coupon for the die set. TFL and YOLO

2 comments:

Pam said...

I have been thinking about make the top note Santa smaller myself. Thank You! I like him better smaller!

MaryH said...

Absolutely adorable. Clever idea to make him smaller, and the Labels 8 was perfect for that. TFS