Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mother's Day Nine Patch Card


Saw the instructions by "nonapearl" to make this Nine Patch Mother's Day card for a friend who has quilted for years and loves natural colours.

Card is on a card stock base of True Thyme by SU, cream is Close To My Heart, kraft is from Mike's. I used green card stock for the embossed piece and that was embossed using the Whimsy embossing folder from QuicKutz in the Cuttlebug.

The patterned card stock used for the quilted piece is from Hobby Lobby "Mirabelle" which is sold in a pad pack of card stock. Used an EK Success square punch for the printed pieces. Glue pen was used to put the quilted squares together on the cream square. Once that was done I put this onto the kraft card stock using the ATG and then added a button from the button jar. Here is a close up photo of the quilted piece:



For the greeting "happy mother's day" I used a stamp from the SU stamp set Teeny Tiny Wishes and stamped that onto scrap cream card stock using SU Riding Hood Red ink. Used the SU Bitty Banners die set to cut this out in the Cuttlebug. I always use painters tape to tape my dies onto the card stock before I run them through the Cuttlebug.  I put the die piece all the way to the right of the greeting to make room for my red gem I put on the banner. But first --- once I had the banner piece cut out I kept the piece in the die and used a small embossing tool to go around the inside edge of the die to emboss the banner piece. The dies from SU do not emboss the edges of the die cuts like Spellbinders and for this card I wanted that on the banner --- here is a photo I took to try to show this:


Once the cream banner was cut out and I had embossed the edge I then use scrap dark red card stock and cut out a red banner. I cut that in half lengthwise and put it behind the cream banner piece with red sticky tape. The banner piece and the quilted piece are on the card with pop dots for dimension**.  TFL and YOLO  (** When I use buttons on cards, due to their thickness, if I use pop dots behind that piece I am careful not to put the pop dot behind the button -- I put the pop dot to the side or above or below where the button is on the card.)

2 comments:

MaryH said...

Most lovely! I adore these quilting cards that you make. TFS & Hugs

Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your site...
W O W!!! I LOVE quilts, I can't quilt, but Love them..:-)
Your cards are so cool!!!!!!!
For non quilter people do you give any directions on how to complete a quilt card?
Very, very beautiful cards.
:-)