Friday, April 19, 2013

One embossing folder -- four looks


Received an email from Archiver's yesterday morning that they were having a sale --- buy two embossing folder packs from QuicKutz and get the third free. They also had specials on dies as well . . .   pushed back the plans for the rest of the planting project for the front porch and I was in the car . . .

This is one of the embossing folder sets I bought. QuicKutz sells two embossing folders in their packs so it ends up I got 6 embossing folders for the price of 4 --- this is a sale not often done from Archiver's.

Below are photos of one of the folders in this Courtyard set and how I used it for four different looks. I did all the techniques on white GP card stock so it is easy to see how different they all look on the same colour of card stock. I picked up this folder set to use on the cards I am making for my gal friends that are Moms for Mother's Day be it kids they raised or their furry four legged friends.

To begin with, as I have mentioned before on my blog, when I use an embossing folder to emboss card stock I always use two pieces of card stock at a time. This gives me a softer embossed piece and it also will prevent the card stock from ripping or showing small tears in the paper.

This first photo is your standard embossed piece:


This folder has a lot of detail and it shows on the embossed piece. The photo below is the other piece of card stock I had embossed with the above first piece but I flipped it over so my embossed design is inverted instead of a raised pattern:



This next photo is the same embossing folder but I did not emboss with it --- I used the ink pad Pretty in Pink from Stampin Up and inked the raised side of the embossing folder. Once that was inked I put a piece of card stock in the folder and closed it. Using a brayer I ran the brayer all over the closed folder which will transfer the inked design onto my card stock --- this way you can use any of your embossing folders as a background stamp. To clean the folder after use rinse it with water and set aside to dry or use a baby wipe to wipe off your ink. Here is that inked piece:


For this last piece I used VersaMark ink on the raised side of the embossing folder and put in the card stock and closed the folder. Using the brayer I ran that over the folder up and down and sideways. Being careful to remove the card stock I then laid this flat, inked side up, and using the Blushing Pink embossing powder from Stampendous I covered the piece with the embossing powder. Tapped off the excess and I then embossed this piece with the embossing gun. Here is that photo:


Each of the techniques turned out well using the embossing folder in different ways. Now I will have to decide which technique to use for my Mother's Day cards. But --- try using your embossing folders for other techniques than just embossing --- this design is very detailed and shows nicely used for embossing and also as a stamped background. TFL and YOLO

No comments: