Saturday, July 27, 2013

Summer Season Cards #1


This is one of the four styles of cards I made and just mailed out for summer.With the weather nice and everyone able to be outside to enjoy sometimes we get busy with the parties, showers, graduations, and all other summertime activities and summer passes quickly. Sometimes I think we are all so busy we seem to miss it. . .  So I will show the four style cards I made this week and just put in the the mail this morning. This card is a circle card and I will share the tip so if you should make a circle card yours will not tip over or lean to one side or the other.

I decided to make some of these cards after I had made the half watermelon I made using circle punches. I do not have this circle card size in a punch but I do have the 20 piece Nesting Circles die set from LifeStyle Crafts/QuicKutz. I used three circles for this card from that die set and to begin with I had to decide what size my card would be.

I use clear envelopes when I mail out my cards so I took one of the envelopes and then took the largest die that would fit into this envelope and that was the die I would use as the card base. Here is the card:


To begin with this card took some planning. I knew I would use the card stock base of green card stock from Stampin Up so that was simple --- I wanted just a small amount of the white to show between the red and the green so I used white GP card stock for that and of course a smaller circle die to cut that out. For the red piece again I used a smaller circle die and the red card stock is from Mikes. To make this card this is what I did:

Cut out the green circle -- scored it in the center and used the bone folder for that. Once that was done I used green SU ink and sponged the edges of the front of the card only. Then cut the white circle, cut that in half, and put that on the card front with the ATG. Again cut out the red circle, cut it in half, and put that on the card front. For the black seeds I used the EK Success border punch on scrap black card stock and the seeds are the pieces from this punch. (The white and red pieces are on the card front only---they do not wrap to the back)

"celebrate summer" are two stamps from the Stampin Up Everyday Flexible Phrases stamp set and I used the Stampin Up Bitty Banners die for that. Using scissors I cut the banner behind the white one from checked card stock and added a button and twine from my stash to this. Put the greeting tag on the card front with a glue dot. but . .  problems arise . .

Once the banners/tag piece with button was on the front of the card it now tipped/leaned to the left. I had to off set that to get the card to stand straight --- here is the inside of the card:


As you can see I used the same die for the inside white/GP piece that I stamped on that I had used for the red piece on the card front. Used SU black ink for that and that greeting is a stamp from Stamp Rosa from 1999. Once that was inside the card I then used my small watermelon dies from QuicKutz to make the watermelon piece. Put these pieces together using the glue pen and this is on the inside of the card using clear glue dots. By putting the watermelon wedge piece inside the card to the right it now balances out the greeting and the button on the front of the card and the card will not tip over or lean to the left:


Plus this also brings the front of the card to the inside as well.

If you should make a circle card using scallop circle dies be sure to have your scallops centered on your card and just clip off a small bit of the two scallops in the center at the bottom of the card and that will prevent your card from tipping or leaning in either direction. . . .

And now to the craft room -- watermelon seeds everywhere... just like I held a picnic in here or something -hahaha. Will be cleaning this up but am glad the summer cards are in the mail before summertime passes me by. TFL and YOLO

2 comments:

Brenda said...

This is a cute card Candee! I love the little seeds, to cute!! I'm glad that you got your card balanced, it looks perfect!!

MaryH said...

Adorable. And even more so IRL. Thanks for explaining the how-to. Sounds like a lotta work, and you planned it so well. Turned out beautifully, and we loved receiving it. Hugs