Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The circles of summer . . .


Too hot to work outside so am working on the summer cards that I will be mailing out. Wanted to make up watermelon pieces and I have two dies for watermelon -- one is the Spellbinder Sweet Treats die set but I did not like how the watermelon looked. The other die I have is a QuicKutz die and it is a 1/4 of a watermelon and to me it was too many times through the Cuttlebug to complete. So to make my watermelon I used circle punches and an EK Success border punch. Here are the sizes:

For the green:  1 1/2" circle punch
For the white:  1 3/8" circle punch
For the red:     1 1/4" circle punch

For the seeds I used the border punch from EK Success and here are photos of the punches:


To make the watermelon I cut my green circle just over the 1/2 way mark I made on my punch. The white and the red half circles are just half circles. Used a sponge for the green piece and sponged green ink on the edges of that. Layered my pieces -- green then white then red and once that was done I punched out a scrap of black card stock using an EK Success border punch. Then I used the punched pieces as the seeds. Put them on the watermelon piece using a glue pen.

Have seen watermelons made with the circle punches and have also see the green piece punched with a scalloped circle punch as well. Certainly using the punches is faster to make the watermelon than using the dies and the Cuttlebug and using punches you can decide how large or small you want your watermelon to be.

Here are other summer cards I have made using just circle punches:


Two half circles and you have a boat -- or if you are having a summer cookout or BBQ you can make a grill with circle punches:


So if you are making your summer cards remember you can make a lot of things with punches and for these cards and watermelon the circle punches are all you need. TFL and YOLO

No comments: