Sunday, August 4, 2013

Scarecrows for Fall


Have seen all the 'people' made using the Sizzix/Stampin Up Top Note die from the Mummy to Frankenstein to a witch to a snowman . . .   although they are cute I did not make any. But then I saw the Scarecrow by Gretchen Barron ( gretchenbarron.typepad.com ) and knew I had to make my own. In her post she said she had seen the original Scarecrow done by Rae Harper ( wildwestpaperarts.com ) and that inspired her to make a Scarecrow but she said she "tweeked" the original pattern and then made hers.

She suggested using the Stampin Up Square Lattice embossing folder to make the Scarecrow look more like he is made from burlap and it also gives him texture. So thanks to Rae for sharing and to Gretchen for passing on her ideas for a cute guy -- a Scarecrow card:


These are the two Scarecrows I made using the Top Note die. To begin with I used SU Crumb Cake card stock for the card. I cut and scored my card stock and then put it on the Top Note die just below the cut line at the top of the die. Since the top of the card is not cut you will have a one piece card cut to the shape of the Top Note die.

Using a black marker I randomly made a mouth for the Scarecrow. Then I used the SU Square Lattice embossing folder and embossed the card front only. From double sided card stock I cut out two pieces with the die for the hat. From one Top Note double sided piece I cut the brim for my hat. Then from the other Top Note double sided piece I cut that to the size I wanted my hat to be. I cut off the point at the top of the hat so it is curved. Using SU Sahara Sand I sponged the edges of the hat piece, the brim piece, and the sides of the embossed front of the card. Using the SU Pennant Punch I punched out a triangle for the nose and again sponged the edges of that as well.

For the eyes I used a 1/2" circle punch and made two black circles. For the white for the eyes I used a 3/4" circle punch and made two circles. Using glue dots I put these circles together. Added wiggle eyes using a mini glue dot. Put the eyes and the triangle nose on the embossed piece. Using a dauber I used SU Pretty in Pink ink and added 'cheeks' to the face.






For the straw by the hat I used brown paper shred from the dollar store and put that on the hat bottom edge. Then put the brim of the hat over that and trimmed the paper shred pieces. Using the 2 Step Bird Punch from SU I punched out my bird and I put a small piece of tulle behind the bird and trimmed it to the length I wanted. Added a clear crystal for the eye on the bird and it is done:


Cute card for Fall and easy to put together . . . but why stop there?

stampwithtami.com  has a video on Youtube for a Scarecrow Treat Box she made using the Scarecrow idea and adding a box for treats. I made one following her suggestions but again I used the embossing folder for my Scarecrow:



For the box I used the Sizzix/SU Fancy Favor Box Die and made my box. I cut two of the Top Note pieces--one for the Scarecrow face and a second piece for the back of the box. I drew on the mouth on the front piece and then embossed this and put the Scarecrow together as I did the cards. Instead of tulle under the bird I used raffia from my stash. Added a clear crystal for the eye on the bird and it was done:



Put the face and back Top Note pieces onto the box using red sticky tape. This is a nice treat holder as it is free standing so it would be a cute place marker at the table.

As you can see on all three of my Scarecrow projects you can make your hats and brims as large or as small as you would like as there is no right or wrong --- just what you want for your hat. The trick to the hat is you cut the Top Note die piece width wise for the hat and for the brim you cut your second Top Note die piece length wise so the brim is wider than the hat. Cute idea and thanks to Gretchen for sharing her version and to Rae for the idea to begin with. TFL and YOLO

2 comments:

Wendy said...

OMGosh, these are so cute, Candee! Love the tip to use the Square Lattice EF to give it that burlap look. They look great!
PS. Thanks for sharing how to make these....I have to try it! :)

Brenda said...

OMGosh Candee, these are too cute!!!