Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Green With Envy $avings


Double sided Halloween themed card stock and the Sizzix/SU Fancy Favor Box die. Simple, box is made, now add treats . . . but wait? What if you did not buy this die when it was available for $39.95 plus S/H?

Solution -- make your own --- I had made a version of this style box before but I made a taller box and here is what that looked like:



For the above box I used a piece of 8 1/2" x 11 card stock with the long side at the top of the score board and I scored it at:  2", 5 1/4", 7 1/4" and 10 1/2". Then turn this one turn and score it at 2".  Once all my scored lines were scored I used the SU Spooky Skyline wheel stamp (I have removed all my NEVER seemed to be used stamps from the wheels and mounted them for use with a clear block and now use them). I stamped the lower part of the bag using StazOn black ink. Here is a photo to show my scored lines and my stamped image--stamped just above the 2" score line:



You can see I clipped the lower scored lines to make my box and after I had stamped my image I used a sponge to sponge Sahara Sand ink on all my score lines. This gives shading to the box sides. For the tall box I made my own letters for BOO from card board and put black paper shred sold at the dollar store inside the box and then put my treats in. Pinched the sides of the box with my fingers and used a decorated binder clip to hold the box closed.

For the box project today I wanted to make a shorter box but wanted to have it be open with no lid or pinching it to be closed -- plus I wanted to be able to get two boxes out of one piece of card stock with items I had on hand. Here is my box:


So many of the BOO Day (Halloween) projects are black or orange or purple and for this one I decided to make a green box using the SU Mellow Moss card stock. But the pattern I had was too tall for what I wanted to make so I altered the pattern to make this box. Used a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock and cut in in half lengthwise so your piece will be 4 1/4" x 11" --- score this with the long side at the top of the score board and score it at: 2", 5 1/4", 7 1/4", and again at 10 1/2". Turn once and score it at 1 1/2". 

Using the SU Halloween Hangups stamp -- again that I removed from it's wheel -- I used StazOn black ink and this time I stamped my image at the top of my box. **  Then I used a sponge and sponged the SU Mellow Moss ink on all the scored lines. Used a bone folder to crease my scored lines. Clipped the lower lines to make my box. Used red sticky tape to put the box together and here is the box:


Using glue dots I added shimmery black trim at the bottom of the box. For the tab punch piece at the top I used a stamp from the SU Party Punch stamp set and stamped the black cat stamp onto Mellow Moss with the StazOn black ink. Punched it out using the SU Tab Punch. Punched a black tab and put it under my stamped tab piece. Added green crystals from the stash for the cat's eyes. Put the tab on the box top using glue dots. 



For the black binder clip I put black tulle on that and tied green ribbon around that and added sparkly 'hairy' black yarn and put that on the upper left top of the box. Added black paper shred to the inside of my box and it is ready for treats:


As you can see side by side my box is shorter but again I wanted two boxes from my card stock. If you should want your box higher than don't use the 4 1/4" x 11 --- use another number but this will work as long as it is ? x 11" as you need the 11" for the length. Here they are:


This is a simple box to make and you can decorate it anyway you would like. But it will hold a lot and it is free standing and again here is the finished box:


** As for the die cut box VS my box --- if you wanted a decorative edge to the box top once your box is stamped and before you make it into a box, use a border punch and punch the straight top edge of your box with a scalloped punch or any shape you want. Since I used the Halloween Hangups stamp I wanted a straight edge at the box top but you can use a border punch if you want. Easy peasy for Halloween. TFL and YOLO

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I am loving your boxes Candee!