Saturday, December 7, 2013

Merry & Bright Card


Here is another non-traditional Christmas card. I used SU Cherry Cobbler card stock for the card base, then a layer of SU Very Vanilla, and the front layer of the card is SU Crumb Cake. I used the Sizzix Primitive Stars die set (Framelits) to cut out my stars using the Cuttlebug.

To make this card I cut and scored my Cherry Cobbler card stock base. Set that aside. Using a holiday print card stock from Hobby Lobby I cut out one of the star die pieces using the Cuttlebug. Set it aside and using the next larger star die in the set I cut out a star from Cherry Cobbler card stock. Once my Cherry Cobbler star was cut out I sponged on gold Encore ink on the star edges. Set that aside.

Using a stamp from Taylored Expressions "Mini Messages--Holidays" stamp set I stamped "Merry & bright" using the SU Cranberry Crisp ** onto a scrap of Very Vanilla. I used the SU Bitty Banners die set to cut out this banner for my card front. I used scissors to clip off the left side of the banner piece that is under my button. Using a red button from the stash I tied jute/twine onto the button and put that onto the banner piece using a glue dot. Set this aside.

For the Crumb Cake piece on the card front -- wanted a design on that so it was not so plain but did not want to emboss this piece so instead I used the SU Cranberry Crisp ink and inked the raised side of the D'Vine Swirls embossing folder. I inked the folder lighter in some spots and heavier in others. Once the folder was inked I put a piece of Crumb Cake card stock larger than what I would be using for my card front and put that inside the folder. Closed the folder and ran a brayer over the closed folder back and forth and side to side to transfer my inked design to my card stock piece. Once that was done I trimmed the inked Crumb Cake piece to the size I would need for the card front.

Using the ATG I put the inked Crumb Cake piece on the Very Vanilla piece. Then put these onto the Cherry Cobbler card stock piece. I put the star pieces together and then put them on the card front using clear glue dots. Again used a large glue dot to put the button/banner piece onto the stars piece. Easy card to make and once again the camera did not capture the gold around the edges of the Cherry Cobbler star but it does show in person. Here is a closer photo of the banner/star piece:


As for the ** from above: When I decided to ink my embossing folder I was going to use my SU Cherry Cobbler ink pad to ink it. But this ink pad is the new style of SU ink pads and it made a mess of the embossing folder -- ink not only was on the raised design but it got into the spaces in between --- so my design would not show well. I decided to use the SU Cranberry Crisp ink pad instead as that ink pad is the old style and it covered the folder design but not the spaces in between. This gave me a crisper design since all I wanted on the card was the swirls. And with this technique once I get my card stock inked from the embossing folder I rinse off the embossing folder using cold water to remove the ink. Set the folder aside to dry. Easy technique and another use of your embossing folders. TFL and YOLO and again here is the card:




No comments: