Saturday, March 8, 2014

You can't get there from here . . .


One more time I saw a cute card and one more time . . .  had to figure it out myself -- don't know if this is the way the original card was made . . .   but here is my card and how I made it:


Card stock base is SU Bordering Blue, the star patterned card stock is from Moxie, and the "Happy 4th of July" is a clearance stamp from Hobby Lobby.

Cut and scored the card stock base and set that aside. I used SU Night of Navy ink on the greeting stamp and stamped that onto white/GP. Used a 2 1/4" circle punch to punch that out. Using a 2 1/2" circle punch I punched out the red circle behind the circle greeting. The fishtails/banners were cut out using a die from the Sizzix Sweet Day die set. Put the circles and fishtails/banners pieces together using the ATG and then set this aside.

Will show the inside of the card and explain what I did to make it:


The stars were cut out using the smallest star die in a star die set from Sizzix. I cut out two from each colour so if they move the back will look as finished as the front. The stars are hanging on waxed dental floss. Did not put a greeting on the inside of this card but there is plenty of room to stamp one later.

Once the stars were cut out I cut three pieces of dental floss approx 3 inches long --- used a glue pen on the backside of a star and put the dental floss on the star to the middle of the star and then put the matching star on top of that and pressed them together with my fingers lining up the points on the stars. Did the red, the white, and then the blue star. Set them aside to dry.

To make the square insert that the stars hang from I cut a piece of matching card stock 1" x 8 1/4". Scored that with the long side at the top of the score board at 2",  4 1/8", and again at 6 1/4".  Used the bone folder to crease the scored lines. Used Scotch tape to tape the stars onto the backside of this insert piece -- see photo for placement of the stars. Wanted the stars to look like a mobile and be different lengths. Once I decided the length I wanted I taped the stars on and then trimmed off the dental floss pieces I did not need.

Used double sided tape to put the insert in the card -- remember to put adhesive on the end sections of your insert only as the front of the insert has to be able to fold and unfold with the card. Line up your insert piece to the top of your card stock base.  Here is a photo of the top of the insert to see it makes a square when the card is opened and standing:


Added a 1" strip of the stars printed card stock to the inside bottom of the card. To complete the front of the card I put a larger piece of the stars printed card stock across the front of the card using the ATG. Put the circle greeting/banners piece on the card front using pop dots.

This card would be cute with flying ghosts for B00 Day (Halloween) or eggs for Easter, hearts for Valentines, etc. Very easy to make once you have a pattern to go buy.

Hoping this helps if you want to make this card. It went together faster than I thought it would and was able to use scraps for the stars since they are small. TFL and YOLO

No comments: