Monday, June 22, 2015
Summer Napkin Cards
This is a photo of some of the summer cards I made for mailing out. All the card stock bases are bright colours and I used a napkin for the card front background.
I bought a package of napkins at the dollar store and here is one of the napkins opened up:
To use a napkin on a card first you open your napkin full. Carefully pull the layers off the back of the printed napkin front -- this is the "ply" of the napkin. These cheaper napkins usually have one ply which is one layer behind the printed front. Once the napkin backing is peeled away I used scissors and cut the napkin in half --- width wise since this pattern is directional and I wanted the design to go sideways and not up and down on my card front.
Once your napkin is cut in half use a piece of aluminum foil (also from the dollar store) and tear off a piece larger than your napkin front. Then tear off a second piece of foil similar in size. Now for the clear wrap -- I used the Glad Cling Wrap -- and be sure the package does not say "Microwaveable" as that type of plastic wrap can not be used for this technique. I then took a full piece of white/GP card stock -- 8 1/2" x 11" for my napkin.
You need to use an iron for this technique. Set the iron to medium heat and it has to be a dry iron -- no steam. While that is heating up lay down one piece of foil. Place your white card stock on top of the foil piece. Tear off your Glad wrap piece, larger than your card stock, and lay that on top of the card stock, smoothing out all wrinkles. Then put your napkin, printed side up facing you, on top of the Glad wrap/card stock pile. Smooth that out and put the second piece of foil on top of this pile. Smooth out all wrinkles with your hand. Now run your iron over the foil piece, moving it slowly, back and forth and up and down, being sure to heat your edges well so your napkin will seal to the edges of the card stock. Once this is done let cool for a minute or two and carefully peel your top foil piece off. Then lift up the napkin/card stock piece. (Both pieces of foil can be used over and over again using this technique).
Using scissors I trimmed off excess plastic wrap from the edges of my card stock. Once that was done I took the piece to the paper trimmer and trimmed it to the size I wanted for my card fronts. From this napkin I was able to get four card fronts so it is economical. Once my napkin/card front piece was trimmed I then cut and scored my card stock base. Set these two aside.
For the flip flops on my cards I used the Impression Obsession die 183-L and I cut all my flip flops out in the Cuttlebug using scrap card stocks. For the flowers on those I used a small flower punch, also from scrap card stocks. Used a glue pen and glue dots to put the flip flop pieces together and to add the flower. For the straw hat on the card front I used scrap kraft card stocks and an large oval punch 2" x 1 3/8"for the hat base. Then used a circle punch. 1 1/8", and that was the hat top. Once these pieces were punched out I used the Stampin Up Square Lattice embossing folder and embossed the hat pieces in the Cuttlebug. Used a sponge and added brown ink to the edges of the hat pieces. Using the M Stewart bow punch I punched out bows from scrap card stocks for the hats.
For the stamped "Hello Summer" I used a stamp from Great Impressions. Using white/GP I used the Spellbinder rectangle die set and cut out my white rectangles in the Cuttlebug. Then stamped the greeting on them and also stamped a grunge stamp from the Stampin Up stamp set Gorgeous Grunge. Used a larger rectangle die and cut out a solid piece of card stock to be behind my stamped greeting piece.
To assemble the card: Used the ATG to put the napkin piece on the front of my solid card stock bases. Then used the ATG and put the stamped piece onto the solid rectangle piece. Using glue dots I put the flip flops and the hat onto the greeting piece. Put pop dots behind the rectangle pieces and put them on the card front. Added crystals from the stash to the hat bow and the flowers on the flip flops. On some of the card fronts I added clear sequins to the card fronts: