Saturday, May 16, 2015

Tiled Cards

***  UPDATE ***   The turquoise tiled card was just chosen as one of the Favorites of the Week on Splitcoast Stampers by Rita -- I emailed Deb Valder to thank her for sharing her idea and such a good video with good details as to how to make this card using the Avery Labels. Watch Deb's video and you will see how easy this card is to make and the Stampin Up Stippled Blossoms stamp set is perfect since it has so much detail on the stamps. So again thanks to Deb Valder for sharing this technique and who would have guessed it is a sheet of Avery labels????

 -- Had seen a card made by Deb Valder on her blog:

She has a video for this technique on her blog and this technique is very easy to do but gives the card front a big impact. Here is one of the three cards I made using her idea:

For each card I used the labels she suggested which I bought at a big box office supply store. The labels are by Avery and the item number is: 5418. Here is a photo of the labels in their package:

There are 28 label sheets in a package so you can make a lot of different cards or projects using this package.

To begin with for all the cards I cut and scored white #110 weight card stock from Mikes. Set that aside. For the label sheet front for the card I cut all my label sheets larger than Deb did as I wanted more of the card front covered. I trimmed off all borders on the label sheets. I made three cards so I did this for three label sheets.

Using the Stampin Up Stippled Blossom stamp set I stamped the first card using Pool Party and then followed that using the Bermuda Bay ink. This stamp set is a 2 Step stamp set and easy to use if you use your Stamp-A-Ma-Jig tool. Once the large flowers were stamped I then stamped the leaves. Again I did not have the colour ink she used so for my leaves I used Pear Pizzazz from SU. The first leaf stamp I inked up and stamped that off onto scrap card stock and then stamped the label sheet near the flowers. The second leaf stamp I inked up and then stamped directly onto the label sheet. This gives the leaves a two tone look.

For all the cards I cut my label sheets, stamped those, then cut the coloured card stock I wanted to use and then a piece of Pear Pizzazz green card stock. Here is a photo of my card pieces stamped and cut but not assembled:

Once all pieces were cut put the label piece onto the coloured card stock and then onto the green card stock using the ATG. Now for the fun part -- the PEEL --- in this photo I used a pencil to make a mark on the parts of the stamped label piece I would be peeling off -- using the awl I carefully lifted up these penciled pieces -- I put the pencil lines on there to help show this better in the photo:

and the peel begins:

For this card I used a stamp from a Gina K Design stamp set Simple Snowflakes. I cut that out using the Spellbinders tag die set Charmed I'm Sure. Used matching ribbon and tied a bow on this card and then put this piece onto the white card stock base using the ATG. Put my greeting tag on the card front using glue dots. Also used glue dots on my sequins on the card front:

Now for the pink card:

This card has a greeting from a Gina K Design stamp set Block Greetings. For the two pink inks on this card I used Stampin Up Pink Pirouette and then their Strawberry Slush. Also on this card I stamped a smaller flower from the Stippled Blossoms stamp set and I cut that out with scissors and put it on the card front using a glue dot. The greeting tag was cut out with the Spellbinders tag set Tags Ribbon Trio. Used pink ribbon from the stash and put that on the card front and added a bow.

Here is the beginning of the peel for the pink card:

Nice to make these cards using two different inks that compliment each other but I wanted to make a purple card and the ink I wanted to use is the Stampin Up Lovely Lilac. But I did not have another purple that would work well with that so I used the stamp off technique -- inked the first flower stamp, stamped it off onto scrap card stock, and then stamped the label. Using the second flower stamp I inked that up with the Lovely Lilac ink and then stamped directly over my lighter flowers and it looks two toned as well:

Once again I used a Gina K Design stamp set Stippled Nature for my greeting. Cut that out using the Spellbinders tag die set Tags Grommet. Used twine to put this on the card front. And the peel for this purple card:

My concern making cards with the label sheets was that the sheets would be fragile and I thought when I would start the peel the labels would lift off the sheets but they did not. Thanks to Deb for sharing such a nice design for a card front. Absolutely love this stamp set as well -- very nice detail on the stamps and they always stamp well. TFL and YOLO

No comments: