Saturday, June 8, 2024

A Day at the Beach Summer Cards

Recently Spellbinders held their Warehouse Sale and happy me I picked up lots of die sets that totaled over $132.00 for just $50.00. One of the sets I had seen other crafters use was the A Day at the Beach die set which was offered for their Small Die of the Month club in July 2022 and now on sale so I bought it.  I wanted to use this die set to make summer cards for this year:

Used paper scraps for the beach blanket, hat, bag, and swimsuit. Wanted to have a beach scene but did not want straight lines across the front of the card for the sand and water line so I used a piece of copy paper and tore a piece off of it and that used that edge for adding ink to the white card front. Here is a photo of the torn copy paper over a green envelope to show the line this torn edge made:

With the torn edge on the white card stock front I used blue ink and blended that over the edge to give me the dark blue on the card front. Removed the copy paper and then I blended more blue on the blue side of the card front with a gentle hand to blend the blue out to the white of the card front. Then I used a beige ink and at the bottom added more ink for the sandy area and when I got closer to the blue line I left white showing. Here is a photo of a finished ink blended front to show this before I added all the pieces for the card front:

First I cut all the white card fronts and then did all the ink blending. With that done I decided to go through my wood mounted stamps and find stamps to use on this card. The greeting in the lower right corner "celebrate summer" is a stamp from Stampendous from 2007.  The birds in the upper left corner is a stamp from DeNami Designs (remember them?) that I had picked up at a stamp show years ago and I thought it would work to have smaller birds over the water for this card front. With the stamping done on the card fronts I cut and scored the light blue card bases. Added liquid glue to put the card fronts onto the card bases. 

Once all the card fronts were on the card bases I began to add the pieces from the A Day at the Beach die set that I had already die cut out. Here is a photo of one of the cards I made:

The inside of the card I used a summer greeting stamp "Relax... " from Great Impressions and I have some flip flop washi tape I put inside the card as well - some washi tapes have more adhesive than others but I want to be sure my washi tape does not come off the card stock so I cut it a little longer than I needed and ran it over a glue stick to add more adhesive:

Here is a photo of the three wood mounted stamps from my stash that I was able to get more use out of:

I also used a small bow punch to add a bow to the beach bag front and the back of the swim suit. For the sun I used a circle punch and sponged the edges of that with yellow ink and then an orange ink. Used a small flower punch for the flower on the hat and added gems from the stash to the hat flower as well as the bow on the bathing suit and beach bag. Fun cards to make and good use of stamps in my stash as well as scrap card stocks. 

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thank you for sending this card to me, Candee! I LOVE it! Now I wish I'd ordered that die set. I didn't so I'll enjoy this card extra!