Saturday, June 1, 2024

Altered Clipboards for Holiday Projects

Here is a photo of the first Dollar Tree clipboard I altered for craft room projects I was working on:

I used a clipboard from the Dollar Tree and using craft paint from my stash I painted an inch on the front and back edges of the clipboard to add colour. Once dried I used ModPodge and put a printed card stock on the front of the clipboard and then on the back. For this clipboard I made a charm dangle:


I bought the spiral notebook from the Dollar Tree and it is the 100 page notebook from JOT. For the clipboards I made for craft room holiday projects I knew I would be stacking these clipboards so I did not want to make a charm dangle. Instead I used various ribbons from the stash for each of my clipboards and the ribbons dress up the clip that holds the notebook but is also flat for storage. Here are the holiday project clipboards I made:


For the Valentine clipboard I used a heart printed card stock on the front and a matching print for the back. The ribbons are reds and pinks. To tie the ribbons on the clip I cut a piece of 6 inch long ribbon, folded it in half and put this under the clip. Pulled the loop up and put the ribbon ends through the loop and pulled it tight. To keep the ribbons from coming untied I put some Beacon 3 in 1 glue on a toothpick tip and rubbed that on the clipboard clip and pulled the ribbon tight over the glue to keep it in place. I used both thinner and wider ribbons on all my clipboard clips and the clipboard clips hold 13 ribbons in total. 

This next clipboard is for both Spring and Easter projects. When Heartfelt Creations announced they were closing and no longer selling their stamps, die sets, and cards stocks I remembered all the times I went to stamp shows in the past and would shop their booth. They always had specials going on for the shows so lots of sales.... they also had walls and walls of card/project samples as well as having a demo booth or two so you could see their products in use. I really liked a lot of their card stock patterns but not being a scrapbooker these larger printed card stock pads did not work well for card making for me. I used to ask at the shows if they would ever offer their card stocks in 6x6 pads but that never happened.... so when I wanted to make my Spring/Easter clip board I looked through my printed card stock stash and nothing stood out that would work for this clip board...

I have shopped the Reconsidered Goods store in Greensboro and they sell gently used craft items. I decided on a recent trip there to look through their space they have all their printed card stocks displayed. I went through a couple of bins of prints and happy me to find two sheets of coordinating Heartfelt Creations card stock that would be perfect for the Spring colours and the larger pattern will fit nicely on the clipboard:


and the back:


I decided to make these holiday clipboards as throughout the year when I shop sales I buy holiday items and I do not want to bring the stamps and dies home and put them away and never give them a second thought. This way when I buy a new product I can write it in the notebook on that holiday clipboard it goes with so I will remember later a product I want to use or maybe a project I want to make and what products I want to use. I bought some snap closure storage boxes off Amazon and as I have gotten new sale products in the mail I have put them in these storage boxes and I keep the matching clipboard on top of it:


Here is the clipboard I made for Summer projects and that would also include patriotic projects for the 4th of July:


Then the Fall/Thanksgiving clipboard:


For Halloween:

For Christmas:

I have found that the 100 page notebooks work well with the clip on these clipboards as this clip only lifts up so high so the thicker notebooks may not work with them. To make all of these at one time first I decided how many clipboards I would need and I bought them at the Dollar Tree. Then I picked out the card stock prints for the fronts and backs of the clipboards. I picked out all the paints I would use for the clipboards. I measured the clipboard and made a paper pattern so I could cut all my card stocks to size to fit the clipboards, both front and back. Once those were cut I used a corner rounder punch for all the corners. Put all the card stocks on the clipboards using ModPodge. Once that dried I applied a second coat of the ModPodge. With that dried, I then cut all the ribbons for the clipboards:


The cases I bought from Amazon are close to the size of the clipboards so everything stacks nicely for storage:

Used the label maker to label the cases and now I can keep the holiday clipboard with each holiday case for project products and ideas for future projects. The cases can be easily stacked for storage with the clipboard on top. Happy to finish this project and to sort recent craft items I bought as well as keeping projects I already have and want to use together in one place. 


No comments: