Thursday, August 11, 2016

Haunting Halloween Cards

To begin with I had seen this card on Splitcoast Stampers made up by "barbfarmd". In her post she said she was casing it from Leena Girsa. Thanks to both stampers for sharing their cards. Here is a photo of the three cards I made from their ideas:

I will explain what products I used and the measurements I used to make my cards. I did not have their spider web nor their card stocks but was able to used products I had on hand. Also will explain how I made the Happy Haunting banner across the front of the card.

Each card has a black card stock base of 110# weight card stock from Mikes. I cut and scored all three card stock bases. Used the bone folder to crease the fold. For the black prints on the card fronts I used printed card stocks from Peebles and cut those 4 1/4 x 5 1/4. I put these black prints onto the black card stock bases using the ATG.  In the photos below you can see one black print is a plaid, one is polka dots, and the final photo shows a Halloween skull print. Since the skull print has direction I had to be sure to be putting it onto the black card stock base right side up - so if you should also be using a directional print be sure it is going in the direction you want before you put this on your card stock base:

For the black piece behind the orange polka dot print I used 65# weight black card stock from Mikes. Cut that to 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. The orange polka dot print - also Mikes - I cut that to 3 x 4. Then put the orange polka dot print onto the black card stock using the ATG. Set these aside.

For the spider web I used the Cheery Lynn spider web die and cut out my spider webs using black 65# weight card stock from Mikes. Using the glue pen I positioned the spider web onto the orange polka dot piece and then used scissors to trim off the left and top of the spider web die cut piece that was over the edge of the orange polka dot piece. For the yellow moon piece I used a 1 3/4 circle punch and punched that out from scrap Stampin Up Summer Sun card stock. Sponged the edges of that using Tangerine Tango ink. Used the ATG to put this onto the spider web. Set these aside:

For the larger orange banner piece I used Stampin Up Tangerine Tango card stock and cut that approx 4 3/4 x 1 1/2. Used the Stampin Up Triple Banner punch to punch one end of this as a banner. Laid this across the card front and trimmed off the straight end of the banner to the size I wanted for the card front. Put this banner onto the card front using the ATG.

From a stamper's sale I now have the "new to me" Stampin Up stamp set Cheer All Year. That is the stamp set for the greeting "Happy Haunting" on my card. The bat for their card is also a stamp from that stamp set but I did not want to 'fussy cut' the bat since Stampin Up does not offer a matching die set for this stamp set. Checking my Halloween dies I do have the Bat die from Prickley Pear and it is the same size as the bat stamp in the stamp set. I cut out my bats using this die and the 65# weight black card stock from Mikes. Wanted some shimmer to the bats so I spritzed those using the Pearls Shimmer Mist. Set those aside to dry.

For the greeting banner I had no measurements to go by so I cut scrap white/GP card stock 1 x 4 1/4. I stamped the greeting on these pieces using black ink from Memento. To use the banner punch on both ends of these stamped pieces and to be sure they were even I used a pencil and made a mark near my greeting where I would want the banner to be punched. Here is a photo of a greeting banner and then a stamped piece before I used the banner punch:

You can see the two pencil dots next to the greeting. I put this stamped piece into the banner punch with the stamped side facing down on the punch channel so I could see the pencil dot when using the banner punch from the back side when lining it up:

To put the card together -- using the ATG I put the spider web/orange polka dot piece on the card front over the orange banner using the ATG. Put my bat on the circle using glue dots behind his body-not his wings. Using the ATG I put the Happy Haunting greeting banner across the bottom of the web piece. The only thing I added to this card was three back sequins, using mini glue dots, to the card front. Easy card to put together even though it all all layered.

Thanks to both stampers for sharing their cards!  TFL and YOLO

No comments: