Sunday, January 29, 2017

Inside Out Valentine Treat Holder


To begin with I recently saw a video by Dawn Griffith on Youtube for an easy Valentine Treat Holder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-CbBYD3a8

Her video is easy to follow and she explains two different ways to make her treat holder using two different sizes of card stocks. Here is a photo of the treat holders I made using her pattern and tips:


I used the same card stock she suggested -- the new 6" x 6" paper pad "Sending Love" by Stampin Up. This paper pad has many patterns for Valentine's Day but remember many of the patterns are directional so be sure the front or back of your holder does not have the patterned paper upside down. Dawn suggests buying the 3" x 6" Gusseted Cellophane bags from Stampin Up. Their bags are sold in a set of 25 bags for $4.50, plus tax and shipping/handling. That can total over $12.00. I did not want to pay that amount of money for 25 bags..

In the past I have ordered treat bags and clear envelopes from:

www.clearbags.com

I ordered item #GB6 which is 100 of their 3" x 6 1/2" cellophane bags. With tax, shipping/handling, I paid $10.40 for my order. I ordered these these bags on Jan 26th and they were delivered on the 28th. My Stampin Up orders always take a week or so to get to me so having these bags delivered so fast was a nice surprise.

Also for my holders I used a different greeting stamp than Dawn did. Mine is a garage sale stamp I picked up for 50 cents and it is by Hero Arts. All my treat holders have that greeting on them. I used the Real Red ink from Stampin Up but there was a problem -- I have two different Stampin Up Real Red ink pads. One is the linen ink pad and the other is their new foam style ink pad. Problem is both ink pads, in the same colour, stamp in different shades of reds:


For these holders the foam pad on the bottom was a better red for the printed papers I used. I stamped all my greetings onto white/GP card stock using the foam Real Red ink pad. Used the 1 3/4" circle punch and punched out the greetings. Using a 2" circle punch I punched circles from white and red glittered card stocks. Put the greetings onto the glittered card stock circles using double sided tape and TomBow glue. Set all of those aside to dry. Once dried I used the multiple hearts punch from M Stewart and punched out hearts from the red and white glittered card stocks. Here is a photo of that punch;


Using mini glue dots I put the smaller hearts on the greeting pieces. I used large glue dots and put the greeting pieces onto the treat holders above the circle windows.

Cut my printed card stock as Dawn instructed. Used the 1 3/4" circle punch for the windows on the front of the holders. Used the 1 3/4" circle punch and then punched over that with a 2" circle punch to make all the glittered circle frames over the windows. Used the TomBow glue to put the rings over the treat holder windows. Set those aside to dry. Using a small Marvy heart punch I punched out hearts from the glittered card stocks and put those hearts on the treat holder front to the side of the window using glue dots.

Since my cellophane bags are 1/2" longer from ClearBags than the Stampin Up bags I trimmed off 1/2" off the tops of my bags using sharp scissors. I used large glue dots and put my greeting circle above my circle window. Dawn has her greeting pieces and decorative pieces on the outside of her bags but I wanted my greeting on the inside of the cellophane bags so I put the greeting pieces on the front of my holders first. I filled my bags with 6 pieces of candy, slid in the front/back treat holder piece and I stapled the bag shut at the top as she suggests. These treat holders can lay down or be free standing. Here are some more photos of these holders:


Thanks to Dawn for an easy treat holder and for the new way to use cellophane bags -- on the outside of the holder rather than on the inside of the card stock treat holder. These went together very quickly and are as simple as Dawn shows in her video. TFL

No comments: