Sunday, December 3, 2017

Christmas Card - ACC018


First off - I had never made a card using the Eclipse technique but recently saw this video by Jan Brown from the UK and that inspired my card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsx5uhPsgwU&t=221s

Jan had lots of tips and she walks you through the whole technique. Here is my version of her card:


My card stock base is #110 weight white from Mikes. Cut and scored that.  The red card stock is Stampin Up Real Red and I cut that to the size I needed for the card.  For the stamped front white piece again I used the #110 weight card stock from Mikes trimmed to the size I needed for the card front. Using a greeting stamp from a new-to-me stamp set from Ebay, "Forever Evergreen" from Stamping Up which I stamped in the lower center of the card front piece using Stampin Up Real Red ink. For the holly/berries on this card I used the Stampin Up Holly Berry Happiness stamp set as Jan did, using Wild Wasabi ink from Stampin Up. With the card front stamped I cut out my four letters for NOEL using the large alpha die set from Stampin Up.

As Jan did I used the Stampin Up Gently Falling embossing folder for the stamped/die cut card front piece, also embossing the center of the "O" in NOEL, but not embossing the die cut letters. Removed the embossed pieces from the folder. Used the ATG and put the Real Red card stock onto the white card stock base. Used the ATG and a glue pen and put the stamped/die cut/embossed white card front on the Real Red. Set this aside.

To have my die cut letters raised for the eclipse technique I used Scotch foam tape and put the letters onto the card front. Decided it was a little too plain so I used a bow punch from M Stewart and I punched out a bow from light green foil card stock. Put the bow at the bottom of the "O" in NOEL with a glue dot and added a clear crystal to the center of that. Here is a photo to show the red card stock behind the letters:


In the video Jan used a red marker and added her holly berries. In the stamp set there is a berries stamp but this stamp is meant as a filler and not to line up with the other stamps for the berries by the leaves - here is a photo of a scrap piece of card stock I had stamped to show this berry stamp fills in between the leaves rather than stamp berries on top of the leaves:


Also another great video by Jill Olsen for the eclipse technique --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJZv5bx2zk&t=339s

In her video she shows a few different cards and also a detailed card that is too much for the eclipse technique to stand out on. Thanks to both Jan and Jill for sharing this technique on their great videos. Another fun holiday card and it is much easier than it looks. On my card my letters are not embossed and I think that helps the embossed design to be more noticeable but it is a personal preference whether to emboss the letters or not. TFL

No comments: