Sunday, March 24, 2019

Easter Test Tube Treat Holder


Divinity Designs - which used to be Our Daily Bread Designs - recently released their Test Tube Treats die sets. One of the die sets makes a treat holder that holds one of the test tubes and the other die set holds three of the test tubes.  I ordered the die set that holds one of the test tubes for a treat holder and I had also ordered a package of their plastic test tubes for the die set.  The plastic test tubes were on back order and happy me they arrived yesterday. With those here I decided to finish the test tube treat holders I had been working on for Easter.

Here is a photo of the finished treat holders using the single test tube treats die set:

with a closer photo:


First I used 12x12 solid card stock from Stampin Up for my treat holder bases. I only bought 12x12 card stock packs by SU at stamper's sales over time so I do not have a large selection of spring colours so I was limited to colours on hand in that size. For my printed card stock I used prints from various paper packs and manufacturers. I die cut all the pieces needed to make the treat holders:


Before assembling the treat holder I made a small pencil mark on the treat holder bases so I would know which side of the holders to put my printed card stock pieces on:


I used the ATG to add my prints to the base but for the small square with the circle for the test tube to fit through I used liquid glue since that is such a small piece. I also used the Treat Tag Sentiments #3 stamp set from Divinity Designs for the "For You" tag using black Memento ink. Die cut the tags with the tiny tag die in the die set.

With all die cut pieces done I assembled the box. Used Easter M&Ms to fill the treat test tubes. Added twine from my stash to the test tube tops to tie on the greeting tags. Used a small amount of Glossy Accents to keep the bow tied and to keep the twine in place on the screw top to the test tube. For some of the holders I used a 1" circle punch and punched out a printed circle to match the print on the holder. Used the ATG and added adhesive to the circles and put them on the top of the test tubes. For the solid circles I used the circles that the die cuts out at the holder top:


Also -- you can die cut a second long piece to put on the back of the treat holder for a more finished look. I did this for the green holder but left the other holders plain:


Looks more finished with the second long piece on the back of the holder but since I was working with scraps I did not have enough prints for both front and back long pieces but I did put the printed side pieces on the holders.

This is a very easy die set to use - I had watched the video for this release when it first came out and I did use the tip they suggested for using a piece of printer copy paper under your card stock on your die cutting machine plate to keep your die cut pieces smooth. Many times the cracks/dents/grooves in your die cutting machine plates can transfer creases or lines to your solid card stock while die cutting your shapes out. This die set cut all my pieces with one pass through the machine and I did not have to use shims or anything. The only thing I do not like about this treat holder is the plastic test tubes - they do not have a flat bottom so the test tube can wobble in the holder - if that makes sense. But I know some craft stores sell the plastic test tube treat holders with flat bottoms so I will just buy my next supply at a store instead.

As for the bunny -- I used a small bunny die from my stash and cut out a bunny from brown flocked card stock. Added a bow and a crystal and then a small pom pom to the tail. All holders were put together using Tear and Tape and I also used that to put the bunny on the treat holder front.

Another cute treat holder for Easter treats and happy to use more of my card stock stash for them! TFL

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Pretty boxes, Candee! I think the Easter bunny is happy for your help!