Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Pieced Halloween Tag


Had seen a few videos by Ginny at Polly's Paper Studio and she has lots of tips and tricks and easy videos to follow.  Wanted to try her Vintage Crepe Fringe Tutorial directions for my tag and here is a link to her video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBFFxlQv7A&t=31s

Here is my Halloween tag:


The back and front pieces of her tag are all scraps from other projects she has made so it was fun trying to layer my scraps together as well as trims to help add layers to the tag.

To begin with I die cut a tag using the #110 black card stock from Mikes for the tag base. Using that same die I die cut a piece of scrap card stock and put that on the back of the tag using the ATG:


As she had suggested in her video I die cut three pieces of scrap card stocks for the front of the tag. These scraps were too small to make a full tag but you need the die cut pieces to fit on your tag base so that is why she suggests using the die to cut your pieces out. Using the ATG I put these scrap die cut pieces onto the tag front.

I wanted to add some washi tape to the front of the tag so I cut a piece of gold spider printed washi tape a bit bigger than the tag. I put a wide piece of tear and tape across the tag front and then put the washi tape over the tear and tape. Trimmed off the ends of the washi tape on both edges of the tag piece. Using tear and tape again I put a piece of black netted trim at an angle across the center of the tag which is under the doily piece. Here is a photo to show these layers:


Used a doily die and scrap cream card stock and die cut a cream doily for the tag front. For my Halloween image on the tag I used a sheet of 6x6 card stock from Authentique from my stash. The page has a variety of images and I used scissors to cut the image out. Used the ATG and put this image piece onto a scrap piece of #110 weight cream card stock. Used scissors and trimmed around the image piece. I did not want the cream card stock to be a mat/frame for the image but to just make the image piece more sturdy.

With the image piece trimmed to size I used another tip from Ginny -- I took a black Sharpie marker and ran it across the edges of the image piece so when you look at the tag from the side you do not see cream card stock or white cores from the prints where I had to trim them. Here is a photo of one side of the tag to show the edges are black on the image piece - I also did this to the tag piece so all edges are black:


Such a simple tip that adds so much to a project....  I used an old mini bat punch from EK Success to punch out the small bats for the tag - I use glittered black card stock for those to add some sparkle to the tag front.  I added black crystal bling from the stash to the image piece. I used tear and tape and put the image piece over the doily. Used Scotch foam tape to put the doily piece onto the tag front.

For my fringed crepe piece I used the hot glue like Ginny had done in her video. I also do not have silver pipe cleaners (chenille stems) so I used black since that was in the supply box for Halloween. For the bow I used a ribbon from the stash and the Mini Bowdabra and made the bow. Added a matte black crystal (from Eyelet Outlet) to the center of the bow. The tie for the tag is Halloween bakers twine. Thanks to Ginny for sharing her idea using the crepe paper for more than a rosette! Fun tag to make and always happy to use the scraps. . . .

Another fun project -- had seen a few videos from Tmika - AKA  Scrapdaworld. In a few of her videos she featured vinyl bows she had made and so I thought I would give it a try. Here is the link to her video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGz4ne50bJI

She decorated the center of her bow with some gems/bling but for my bows I used a holographic crystal from the Dollar Tree:


A recent trip to Hobby Lobby I picked up two different thicknesses of their clear vinyl.  This is sold in the fabric department with the home decor fabrics.  Like Tmika I used the A6000 glue to close the bow loops and put it on the bow back pieces. I used my medium bow die from Pink & Main for my bow. Both thicknesses of the vinyl I used worked well for my bows and happy to find out the dies cut easily through the vinyl. Thanks to Tmika for sharing her bows and her how-to's video on those.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

This sure is a fancy tag, Candee! Love the crepe paper and all those layers! So much texture and dimension!