Sunday, September 6, 2026

Twig Cover Halloween Card

Picked up the Brass & Bliss Twig Cover Die set at a stamp show I had attended and I wanted to use it for a Halloween card this year. Used three oxide inks to make the spooky sky background. Here is the card:

To begin with I cut a piece of Strathmore Bristol smooth white card stock larger than the Twig Cover die to ink blend my sky on. First I punched out a 1 3/8" circle of scrap white card stock and I used washi tape to keep this circle mask in place for my background moon. Starting at the bottom I ink blended Shaded Lilac oxide ink. Second ink above that I ink blended was Wilted Violet oxide ink and I blended that down into the Lilac ink. The third ink for the top I used was Blueprint Sketch oxide ink, again blending that down into the Violet ink. With the inks covering my white card stock piece I used Black Soot oxide ink and started at the top and added the black ink across the top and then down on each side. Set this aside to dry. 

Die cut the two glittered white ghosts using an old Cuttlebug ghost die. I cut them out of the glittered white card stock and then out of black card stock to put behind my ghosts which gives my ghosts their black eyes and mouth. Used liquid glue to put the two ghost layers together. 

Set these aside to dry. Went back to my ink blended panel and I used a mister to spritz water onto the background piece and let that sit for a minute. Then used a clean paper towel to blot up any extra water on the background. Used the heat tool to dry this panel. Then used a fan brush to splatter white ink onto the background. Let this dry.  Took the circle mask off the moon on the background and lightly went over the white circle spot with a light hand and any Black Soot ink left on the blending brush just to soften the white moon. 

Die cut the Twig Cover die out of black card stock. This die cuts well with one pass in the machine and all the small die cut pieces easily came out of the die. I used the Spellbinders Essential Rectangle die set to cut my ink blended sky panel to the size I would need to go behind the twig die cut piece. I used liquid glue to put the twig cover plate piece onto the inked panel for the card front. Set this aside to dry. Once that was set I cut and scored a piece of black card stock at the top for the card base. Used liquid glue to put the card front onto the card base. 

Used tear n tape to put the ghosts onto the card front. For the "Happy Halloween" I used the Frantic Stamper Retro Label Halloween Sentiments die set and I stamped the stamps with black ink onto scrap white card stock. Used scissors to cut those out. Put them on the card front using tear n tape. Wanted two small pumpkins for the card front so I used two different oval punches and punched out three ovals from scrap pumpkin coloured card stock. Sponged the edges of those and put the three ovals together using liquid glue. Used scrap green card stock and cut the stems using scissors and glued the stems onto the pumpkins:

The Twig Cover die cut the thicker black card stock I used for my card front with one pass through the die cutting machine. This die has a lot of detail and small sections so I was not sure how well it would die cut the thicker card stock. Happy it was so easy as many detailed dies are hard to die cut and then time consuming to try to remove all the small pieces from the die cut piece. Fun die set to use and happy with the dimensional look the twigs give the background for a spooky Halloween card. 

No comments: