Sunday, August 13, 2017
In the past I have made Starburst or Sunburst cards and they went together relatively simple. Hardest part was deciding what printed card stocks to put together for the Starburst/Sunburst pattern. First is a Halloween card I had made:
Just had to decide where on the card front I wanted the design to start/stop so I could stamp my greeting. This next card I made was for Christmas using this pattern:
Both cards went together with no problems and this pattern is easy to do.. . .
In a recent copy of one of my favorite British card making magazines, Papercraft Inspirations, are two cards that were made using the Starburst/Sunburst pattern but the triangles used for their pattern are not all the same size and the measurements are in centimeters and not inches so let the games begin. . .
Liked the cards enough to want to make one so first I had to look up the conversion chart for the centimeters to inches and of course it is not that simple.... they do not come out even on a conversion chart but I forged ahead and here is a summer card I made using their pattern:
Their pattern uses three different sized triangles cut in half corner to corner and then these pieces are put onto a solid card stock -- for my card I used solid red card stock from Mikes. Began with:
Card stock base is white #110 weight card stock from Mikes scored at the top. For the card front I used a black dotted card stock from Hobby Lobby. Cut that to the size I needed for the card front. Green polka dot print is Mikes. Cut that to put onto the black dotted card stock. Put these two pieces together using the ATG. My watermelon printed card stock triangle pieces is card stock also from Hobby Lobby. Once all the printed triangles were cut I sponged the edges using green ink. Using the ATG and a glue pen I layered my printed triangle pieces onto the red triangle pieces. Then I put these onto the green print/black print piece using the ATG. Once those were all in place I used a trimmer to cut off the over hanging triangle pieces on all four sides. Sponged the edges of the card front piece using the green ink. Put this card front piece onto the card base using the ATG.
For the "happy summer" I used two stamps from the LawnFawn stamp set Happy Summer. Had recently bought a black ink pad from Close To My Heart in their new style pad. Here is a photo of this new style ink pad compared to the Stampin Up ink pads:
Sooner than later it always happens -- one of the SU ink pads comes off the "track" and it is very hard to get the lid back on track to close the ink pad. But the new Close To My Heart ink pads have magnetic lids and you can easily open and close them with one hand! No track issues to deal with and it is such a nice design -- will be ordering more of these ink pads for sure -- here is the contact info for the Close To My Heart gal I order from if you need a CTMH contact:
These ink pads cover the stamp evenly so no splotchy stamping. Easy to clean off the stamps as well. I stamped the "happy summer" stamp and the ants stamp onto scrap white/GP card stock. Used a circle punch to cut that out. Layered it onto a green dotted card stock circle and then put these onto a red scalloped circle using the ATG. Put this onto the card front using pop dots for dimension:
This photo shows the sponging and the dimension the layered triangles give the card front:
With the card front complete I decided to add three green crystals to the greeting circle for a little sparkle and shine.
The magazine always has many "how to" step by step photos of their projects and since I had to figure out all these measurements into inches I decided to write my measurements on the pages so if I should use this pattern again it will be easy to measure and cut my triangles. Never had done the Starburst/Sunburst pattern with layering pieces before and IRL it gives the card front a lot of dimension. TFL